Problem with my 99

Old 04-12-2012, 10:50 PM

Default Problem with my 99

Ouch, not a big deal but bothersome and looks to be a REAL hassle. I was working on a very cheap Very beat( It was a door stop in a store for many years) 99k (I think its a K as it has made in Great Brittan on it ) anyway got it apart cleaned polished and moving freely EXCEPT for one screw that broke off. the screw that holds the bobbin cover spring to the bed snapped off, and now I have a tiny little screw stuck in the bed. its not a big deal yet because i don't have a bobbin cover anyway, but I will want one eventually I believe. Any hints tips or tricks any one can think of before i square this thing up in a vertical end mill and redrill the hole ?
Old 04-13-2012, 01:46 AM

Hi,

PITA. I try to center punch a the edge of the screw and use the small center punch and hammer to turn counter clockwise after soaking with penetrant. Most of the time I wind up drilling out the screw unless it's pretty loose.

Good Luck
Jon

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
Ouch, not a big deal but bothersome and looks to be a REAL hassle. I was working on a very cheap Very beat( It was a door stop in a store for many years) 99k (I think its a K as it has made in Great Brittan on it ) anyway got it apart cleaned polished and moving freely EXCEPT for one screw that broke off. the screw that holds the bobbin cover spring to the bed snapped off, and now I have a tiny little screw stuck in the bed. its not a big deal yet because i don't have a bobbin cover anyway, but I will want one eventually I believe. Any hints tips or tricks any one can think of before i square this thing up in a vertical end mill and redrill the hole ?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 AM

I had this happen on one of mine. Had to drill out the screw. Luckily the local sewing machine shop (been here over 50 years) had a couple of ones to try. Good luck.

Pat
Old 04-15-2012, 04:35 PM

We had this happen to a larger screw (not on a sewing machine). We bought a gadget at Home Depot that we used to remove the stub. I dont remember what it was called but I think there were different sizes. Maybe Grabbit?