Problems are making me sad

Old 03-26-2014, 03:51 PM

Ok, got some free time and tried most of these ideas. No difference with cotton thread top and bottom. No difference using quilting cotton, flannel, or denim. Cleaned tension with cotton cloth and a drop of SMO, no difference. The tension seems to work - I can see the disks moving together and apart as I turn the knob (with presser foot up). I haven't taken the tension apart yet. Have tried changing bobbin tension - no difference until it was really loose, then stitches were really bad. There are no dots of top thread on the bottom at any setting. I cleaned the bobbin area until it shone and added some extra oil to the underneath of the machine. The needle is facing correctly and the bobbin is seated correctly. Whew!

That being said, I found two other problems. One, the needle plate looks as if it has had multiple needles hitting it on the front side. I used some steel brushes to smooth it out, and my needle is not hitting it. What I think is a very big problem is that the sewing path curves outward if you don't hold the fabric in place. In all the older machines I've used, the seam was usually straighter if I let go of the fabric and just let the machine do it's job. This is just like when you need to get your car aligned because if you let go of the wheel you drift off left or right. In about 6 inches length, the path veered over an inch sideways - a nice, big curve. Does anyone know what causes that? Seems as though that could very well cause tension problems as well.

You guys are so great! Thank you so much for helping me!!

Margaret
Old 03-27-2014, 10:48 AM

Hi, Margaret!
Are the presser feet in the "up" position when you're threading your cute machines?
Sometimes I have a "duh!" moment when changing thread colors and then getting funky stitches because I forgot this step.
Good luck - and feel proud that other folks ... have had/have now/will have ... the same problems that they'll be able to solve by reading this thread!
You are not alone!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:25 AM

Have you cleaned under the bobbin case spring? Lint or a sliver of thread under the spring will cause that problem. It will prevent the spring from putting any tension on the bobbin thread....which will cause it to be too loose & pull to the top.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by path49 View Post
Have you cleaned under the bobbin case spring? Lint or a sliver of thread under the spring will cause that problem. It will prevent the spring from putting any tension on the bobbin thread....which will cause it to be too loose & pull to the top.
my thoughts also. yo yo the bobbin case with bobbin in and it should crop a couple inches only.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:47 PM
amh

Do you have the correct bobbin? Switch the two and see if there is a difference? Maybe you mixed them up.

Only a thought.

I fought with one machine that I have and decided it was the bobbin case. The repair place where I purchased it, said they never wear out --- but the new one worked. The old one did not. What do I know.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:39 PM

I've been wondering if it could be the bobbin case. The machine uses a #15 bobbin - does that make it a 15 clone? Can I buy a new bobbin case pretty easily? I'll have to look at sewingpartsonline.com -they have lots of good stuff.

I realized my major allergy attack comes from not only trees and pets, but from all the old fabric I picked up at last weekend's quilt show. I've always had trouble with house dust. I put a batch in to wash, and the water turned somewhat brown! May have been the dust, more probably that I washed reds and some bled. Washed them twice with Retayne and Color Catchers, so I hope the dust and the excess dye have been removed. How do I clean up the case? I was thinking just using a damp cloth, but will try anything you have found successful.

I think I'll order a new bobbin case and let this baby sit for a few days - I have quilting to do! Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-27-2014, 02:54 PM

Just unscrew the tension screw on the bobbin case....be careful not to drop that tiny screw! Then lift off the tension spring. You might find lint/thread under there. If you do, that was your problem. After I take the spring off, I usually soak it (& the spring) in alcohol & clean with a q-tip. Make sure it's good & dry before reassembling.

By the way, don't put any oil between your tension disks....I think you said you used SMO to clean the tension. It can leave a gummy film that will just get stickier over time. Again use alcohol.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by path49 View Post
Just unscrew the tension screw on the bobbin case....be careful not to drop that tiny screw! Then lift off the tension spring. You might find lint/thread under there. If you do, that was your problem. After I take the spring off, I usually soak it (& the spring) in alcohol & clean with a q-tip. Make sure it's good & dry before reassembling.

By the way, don't put any oil between your tension disks....I think you said you used SMO to clean the tension. It can leave a gummy film that will just get stickier over time. Again use alcohol.
If you work with your bobbin case in a zip bag and have a magnet in there it might help keep track of the little pieces. Use some rubbing alcohol to clean the tension. Clean the pin, too. No SMO on the tension. YOu can use SMO on the base of the machine. Muv has a video about how to clean up the antique sewing machines. It is in the sticky notes at the top of the page. LINK:http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html She has a ton of videos and info plus she has a very well done blog.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:12 PM

Margaret,

Use a back light, turn the hand wheel till the feed dogs are all the way up. Then lower the presser foot and sight along the sides of the foot and the edges of the feed dogs. They should be parallel on both sides. If the foot is turned one way or the other, the fabric will turn and twist as it feeds.
I've lost count of the number of feet I've had to adjust to fix a twisting fabric problem.

The best bobbins I've bought have come from Sew-Classic. They also have good quality bobbin cases too.

Joe
Old 03-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

Be aware that some of the last batch of class 15 bobbins did not fit on the shaft of some of my machines. I found that true of the type L bobbins as well. The good news was that they fit a different machine...