Progress on the White Treadle

Old 05-15-2015, 02:57 PM

Default Progress on the White Treadle

Finally got my Angle grinder Back into operation and got me a new wire wheel for it, so after finishing the paint removal on the Old white Sewing machine head I turned my attention to the treadle Stand. WOW. I have got to say I am impressed. Cleaned up nicely and will be painted soon but what a nice stand. I like it A LOT better than my Singer stand. the link is metal and the wheel appears to be ball bearing, the pedal pivot point is not centered and it makes for a Guaranteed turning the right direction from a rest every time. This may become my new main stand. Also with just a little light oil on the contact points this thing is Smooth..... and Glides a Long time. SO does any one else have similar experiences with the White Treadle bases?
Old 05-15-2015, 03:09 PM

Seriuosly, I am so impressed with this base that i took my "GoPro" (camera) outside and took a real quick video of how nicely it moves... the fish eye lens makes it a little far away, but you can see how long it glides after I quit powering it...just really a nice piece. I am not sure if I am going to try to save the top, or if I will do a laminated multi machine top for it. http://youtu.be/ncJN_CUGRAU
Old 05-15-2015, 03:34 PM

This is my base before cleaning:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519775[/ATTACH]

It's a different style base than yours. It does seem to work pretty well. I'd thought about painting the irons, but haven't decided yet. I also have to figure out what to do about those pressed wood decorations.
Attached Thumbnails white_base.jpg  
Old 05-15-2015, 04:26 PM

I have never had that problem, none of my bases came with wood!
Old 05-15-2015, 05:29 PM

First coat of paint on the head.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]519782[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails imag1681%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 05-16-2015, 02:49 AM

That's a crazy long time for the treadle to keep going.
Notsothoroeu you have the fancy White stand there. Very nice but in bad shape. Normally I like to keep things original but in your stand's case trying to replace those pressed wood details on the drawers will be at the very least very costly. You would just about have to buy another treadle cabinet the same style and make one good one from the two.
I would consider removing what's left of the pressed wood and putting old fashioned bin pulls on instead. Do you have the rest of the pieces of the stand? It looks like you might be missing the lid and the center front panel.
Not an easy project for sure.
Rodney
Old 05-16-2015, 04:44 PM

I have the center front panel. It is missing the lid that folds down over the machine. I thought I could find a replacement for that (since that's usually what gets damaged the worst.) I don't feel experienced enough to do major work, so I have been trying to just stabilize the wooden pieces. The drawers are veneered and it's cracked at the back. I used wood glue to put that wooden bobbin holder back in the drawer. The top is solid wood and I don't think it looks all that bad. I am considering trying to refinish it enough so that the places where the pressed wood used to be will blend in.

Head is in bad shape too (it's over on the "can this machine be rescued" thread). I have a replacement that is much newer and will fit. I am going to take my time on this and sort out the best way to get it in working condition.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:24 PM

Picture of the missing piece after first cleanup. And a picture of the side of the drawers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519847[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519848[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails white_front.jpg   white_side.jpg  
Old 05-17-2015, 04:08 PM

Oh my goodness. I have the same machine and base and have been trying to date it!!! Yours is in great shape. Going to start taking apart the machine next weekend.