Puzzle boxes for Skyangel

Old 08-22-2013, 12:49 PM

Default Puzzle boxes for Skyangel

Here are some pictures for you. I started out wanting one box for my 27 long bobbin machine, and picked up one for $20 at a antique shop. I started researching and figured out what I was missing - and along the way I discovered the box for the 15. I don't have an old Singer 15 yet, but hope to some day, so when I found that style case cheap, I bought one.

And I discovered, beside the screwdrivers, the most common missing piece is the screw that goes into the foot to hold the hemmers. I've seen several that someone had thought the screw for the cloth guide went there - the one on the left - you can see that they did make it fit.

Another common problem is missing screws for the tucker, and the missing nut for the quilt guide. This this is the same shape as the screws, but has a threaded hole in it.

So after I had two boxes and several missing pieces, I bought a few sets without boxes, and found another round bobbin one that had the shirring plate I needed. It didn't have a whole lot else and the box looks bad, so I got it for under $20, including shipping.

And then - I bought a Tide container full of assorted sewing stuff (must have been out of some cabinet drawers) and there was a Singercraft guide in there I wanted, so for $12 that came home with me. In with everything else was a ruffler I'd not seen before, and it had a 12 marked on it. I figured it must be for a puzzle box, and then good fortune stepped in, I found a puzzle box on Ebay that was listed very poorly - no ruffler, but the clip where it would go showed a 12. And the best part, it was the older style with the hook! I got this one for $16 including shipping! That is about the best "steal" on puzzle boxes I've gotten. This old style takes a looped screwdriver, and I don't know if I'll ever find them, but who knows. . .

In all this - I have amassed quite a bit of "extra" parts that are homeless. I plan on keeping the two boxes for the 27 and one for the 15.

Here are the two long bobbin boxes.

And the hook closure on the older box. In the picture above, its on the right - and does not have the middle clasp the left box has.

And the two round bobbin boxes, I'll be keeping the one on the right.

The left one is one of the newest, it has the full part number stamped on the holder brackets, not just a reference number.

And the extras - not counting what I'll be getting with my buttonholer. The far left box is the extra one. The tucker in the upper corner has a 27 stamped on it. I've not seen a puzzle box with that number for the tucker, but I expect there is one out there. The other tucker is in parts, it has a broken spring steel part, so I used the screws to make complete units for the ones in the boxes.

One of the Rufflers has an S on it, the other says Griest - other than that, they look the same. Though since the part with the label is removable, it could be the G one is on the wrong ruffler.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:46 AM

I'm green! Really I've got to get organized with my puzzle box and the tin boxes and all the mass of accessories collected over the years. How do you get them so shiny?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:39 AM

I use a good flash LOL!

very few are actually shiny, though most are rust free. I've dipped a few in evaporust and then coated them with kroil for preserving.

I'm trying to get my junk sorted out between my collection and what I want to pass on to others. I've got a lot of odds and ends - I'd rather help people out here to complete a collection if they are short a few pieces than list them on ebay just to get them out of my way.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:00 PM

Wow! you have an amazing collection. Thanks for posting the pictures. I've been gone for the last 3 days and didn't see it until now. Yup, you have a couple with the round bobbin holder. The one I have I picked up at a yard sale for $10. Besides having no bobbin holder, I'm missing one of the hemmers and the binder (#3 & #6) and the small screwdriver. If you have extras I'd be interested in buying.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:24 PM

Here's mine:[ATTACH=CONFIG]432445[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails puzzle-box.jpg  
Old 08-27-2013, 01:45 AM

my computer took last night off. I'm lucky DH is good at fixing computers along with sewing machines - though he did have to pull out the "big guns" - he called DS. At least it wasn't a virus, just didn't like the last Windows upgrade. I know some who refer to Windows as a virus LOL!!

Kim- I think I've got what you are looking for - except screwdrivers/stilletos, I have to be in the office until Friday so when I have a bit more time I'll go through what I've got and send you a PM -

BTW - your box is for a long bobbin type machine (based on the shirring plate and underbraider)