Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Question regarding mismarking Featherweights by Singer >

Question regarding mismarking Featherweights by Singer

Question regarding mismarking Featherweights by Singer

Old 03-19-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom View Post
I think Charlee may be onto something, asking if it has the characteristics of and early featherweight. With the serial number on the bottom, doesn't that indicate earlier model?

BTW, what is the thing between the needles and the blanket binding?
My featherweight's number is on the bottom and she is a 1947.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:48 PM

Ok... the seller finally posted a photo of the face plate. It is definitely manufactured after WWII... if I am correct, as it is the striated plate and not the Egyptian Scroll, which is what I am searching for. Thank you all for lots of great information in this search.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom View Post
Ok... the seller finally posted a photo of the face plate. It is definitely manufactured after WWII... if I am correct, as it is the striated plate and not the Egyptian Scroll, which is what I am searching for. Thank you all for lots of great information in this search.
Are you going to pass on it? Seems like a great price.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:59 PM

Yes, I am. I am searching for something in the 1930/40's era.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:25 PM

In your opinion,... if you were going to purchase a FW... would you purchase a 'newer' model ie: '50's, or an older model in the 30's/40's?? I am smitten by the older ones in the 30's/40's I guess just because the are so old and love the Egyptian Scroll plate. I have been discounting the FW's w/ the striated plates. Sounds kind of silly, guess it's just a personal preference.
Really would love anyone's opinion as to whether one decade is better/worse than the other.
thank you
Old 03-20-2012, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom View Post
In your opinion,... if you were going to purchase a FW... would you purchase a 'newer' model ie: '50's, or an older model in the 30's/40's?? I am smitten by the older ones in the 30's/40's I guess just because the are so old and love the Egyptian Scroll plate. I have been discounting the FW's w/ the striated plates. Sounds kind of silly, guess it's just a personal preference.
Really would love anyone's opinion as to whether one decade is better/worse than the other.
thank you
I have both, and if you are looking for performance, there is no difference in mine (one 'newer', two 'older') I would say it is your preference. They are great little machines.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Ah! Quilt Mom, you jogged my memory!! Graham Forsdyke is considered the leading expert in Featherweights! He can be contacted through his website:

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/
I checked Graham Forsdyke's site for info. This was on the page about myths/facts about FWs.

"It is impossible to state the exact date on which minor specification changes took place – for example the switch from "deco" face plate to straited design. Parts bins at the factory were topped up as they became low and it was quite possible for an early feature to appear on a later machine as the parts bin got lower again"

So a later machine might have the faceplate you desire, divokittysmom.

You might check with him about the serial number issue. You can email him from the web page.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:15 AM

Quilt Mom, thanks so much for that interesting information about the face plates! And, I guess it really does boil down to personal preference. I really need to concentrate on performance rather than just the face plate.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:20 PM

My (guess) would be that it may be a Oct 1948, (ie) an AH825 serial number. Something may have happened to the A as they were stamping. I might add that I don't know what method that they used for numbering the machines.

But it sure looks like a nice machine.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 PM

I have an early featherweight, 1936. At that time, they did not make the numbered tension knob, so if I change a tension there is no reference to change it back. It takes some fiddling sometimes compared with later models that have the numbered tension knob. She sews fine though! You are right, it is mostly a matter of personal preference. I love that my machine is twenty years older than me and still going strong! I enjoy imagining the different folks who must have used her over the years.