Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Question regarding my newly acquired Damascus Grand >

Question regarding my newly acquired Damascus Grand

Question regarding my newly acquired Damascus Grand

Old 02-16-2016, 06:13 PM

This is my Damascus Grand

This is an insert that came in the manual showing the updated model

Last edited by Macybaby; 02-16-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
"Damascus" was used for the VS machines, and "Grand" for the rotaries.

The older style is more boxy in shape, the newer style is more curved, especially the pillar.
I did spot a "Damascus Rotary". Not sure how that fits in. Pre Damascus Grand???.

The Ismacs list combines about 12 different needle lists so there's lots of good,repeat, and incorrect info and only so much editing is possible. There are still many needle debates going on due to some manufacturer claiming a certain needle will work in a particular model.

To illustrate I have 2 copies of the Singer Interchangeable Needle List. The recommended needle from the Singer list for Eldredge Rotary or Damascus Grand is 127x1, commonly used on Wheeler and Wilson. Singer never made an Eldredge Rotary needle so this is the closest they made. No clue on how well this would work.

Jon
Old 02-17-2016, 05:42 AM

Jon, I think those two are the same length, but isn't the WW a full round shaft?

From my notes, I think that was the only difference between the two. I believe the full round will fit in the National, however the sewest would have to be very careful to get it in correctly since there is not "flat side" to help "center" it.

On an interesting note, the needles for my Long Arm are full round, and the instructions talk about rotating the needle slightly to advance or retard the timing if needed for problem fabrics or thread.

I think the Damascus Rotary is a later version. After the word "Rotary" got popular. I have older black attachment boxes, most say "attachments" but some of the later versions are marked "Rotary", "White Rotary" and "New Home Rotary". Though when I say "later" it's 1920's or so. I think by 1935-1940 the metal boxes had been replaced with cardboard boxes.

I am more interested with the attachments than the machines, but I need machines to go with the attachments!
Old 02-17-2016, 05:46 AM

It's also possible that the two machines the above post were somewhat contemporary, meaning the older version was still available as the treadle model, and the updated version came as the electric model.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:58 PM

Cathy,

Link to the Damascus Rotary. Definitely a different model than yours.

http://fullfreezer.blogspot.com/2012...d-and-omg.html

The 127x1 and Eldredge Rotary are pretty close, both have a flat shank, but the 127x1 is about 1.5mm longer. This might be critical in a Rotary model but fine for a VS.

Very interesting about cocking the needle to one side.

Jon
Old 02-18-2016, 09:29 AM

I'd love to get one of those early Rotaries - From what I've read, that is the earlier version - more often seen as Eldredge Rotary. Seems odd that a move from side tension to front tension would be a later version, but it appears so, and we know the front tension was pretty much standard with National Rotaries from later years.

Also very interesting that the decal set for the later front tension (like mine) is identical to that used on the side tension model - guess they had them left over and didn't want to toss them. Other than the change in the stitch length adjustor, they are very similar. The picture Needlebar has appears to be one earlier than in the link you shared, with the one in the link being more similar in shape to mine.