Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Question on Treadle and Featherweight find >

Question on Treadle and Featherweight find

Question on Treadle and Featherweight find

Old 06-08-2018, 08:43 AM

Default Question on Treadle and Featherweight find

I have an opportunity tonight after work to purchase a Singer treadle machine for $200.00 and a Singer featherweight is being thrown in as a "bonus sewing machine". It comes with a puzzle box and accessories. (exact year and model are unknown by seller)
I am a complete newbie to antique machines. I have a beautiful class 15 Japanese made Dressmaker machine that I learned to sew/quilt on, and a few more modern machines.
My question is what should I be looking for? The cabinet has a bit of chipping on the top, but all the drawers are there and all the pieces to the treadle. The gentleman says everything turns.
My dh is a woodworker and is happy to take on any restoration. He's generally very handy around the house and has worked on cars his whole life. Are the mechanics simple enough that someone like him could restore an antique machine to use? Are parts accessible and affordable?

Thank you for any helpful advice you can offer

Janelle
Old 06-08-2018, 08:54 AM

If you were getting just a treadle, that's pretty high, depending on what is in it. The featherweight changes the deal. Make sure it has a bobbin case.
For the most part, I like to say the old sm heads are bombproof. Unless Igor tried to work on it.
Usually they need oiling, a cleaning, new belt and needle, tension adjusted, and are ready to go. It should have the shuttle and a few bobbins. Depending on manufacturer, needles may be harder to come by.
Bring thread and fabric with to test both machines. Perhaps you'll discover some bargaining room!
Old 06-08-2018, 09:08 AM

Thank you!
Old 06-08-2018, 10:01 AM

This is the machine cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails machine-cabinet.jpg  
Old 06-08-2018, 10:01 AM

This is the head:
Attached Thumbnails machine.jpg  
Old 06-08-2018, 10:02 AM

This is the featherweight:
Attached Thumbnails better-pic-featherweight.jpg  
Old 06-08-2018, 10:03 AM

This is the accessory "puzzle" box:
Attached Thumbnails these-accessory-box.jpg  
Old 06-08-2018, 10:03 AM

If the featherweight is in decent condition, it's a great deal. Featherweights usually go for at least $250.00 unless they aren't pretty any longer. By that, I mean the decals are worn off in spots and/or the paint is chipped. Like the treadle, the featherweight is fairly bullet proof.

A replacement bobbin case is between $35.00 and $50.00. They aren't usually missing unless it was in a place to get stolen. They are regularly stolen at estate sales.

If your treadle is a long bobbin machine, the shuttle price can fairly expensive. Unless you are experienced with long bobbin machines, I'd watch a youtube video on either operating a long bobbin machine or at least threading one. I'm not familiar with them, so that's what I would do. I gifted a long bobbin machine to someone and thought it didn't have a shuttle. It did. I just didn't know where to look for it.

Good luck. It sounds like it could be a really good deal.

bkay
Old 06-08-2018, 10:10 AM

That featherweight looks pretty rough. It could clean up, though. Does it have a case? Those prices I quoted included a case. That's not the original foot pedal, either. I'd certainly make sure it sews. You might take a baby wipe to see if the surface is just dirty or really compromised. If it has no case and the finish is compromised, it's not worth a whole lot of money. I have one that the finish is compromised, and the OSMG wanted $250.00 to take it apart and put it back together so that I could have it repainted.

bkay
Old 06-08-2018, 10:13 AM

Thank you. Good suggestions I added pics from his craigslist