Question on treadle machines

Old 01-20-2014, 06:10 PM

Default Question on treadle machines

Ok, As I said before, I bought my first vintage machine, a Singer 127 Treadle. I cleaned it up, got a new belt and it works really well. However, since I'm new at this I have a question. I wanted to lower the machine back into the cabinet, and it seriously stretches the belt. I'm afraid I am going to break my brand new belt. Is there a secret to lowering the machine without stretching (and/or breaking) the belt?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 PM

Take it off the wheel if that is the case. It shouldn't do that, so maybe you have it too tight? Would love to see a picture of your machine. Amy
Old 01-20-2014, 06:25 PM

Default Lever

Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
Take it off the wheel if that is the case. It shouldn't do that, so maybe you have it too tight? Would love to see a picture of your machine. Amy
My wheel, has a lever that flips the belt off the track.... it's a singer, maybe they all don't have that?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:30 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]457741[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]457742[/ATTACH]
Here she is. I just opened it back up. Once I re-threaded the belt, it worked fine, I just have to remove it from the wheel each time I lower it into the cabinet. I didn't know if that was what was needed. I've never had one before, but it only took about an hour to get it running and sewing. I was really amazed.
Attached Thumbnails dscn1050.jpg   dscn1049.jpg  
Old 01-20-2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by vanginney View Post
My wheel, has a lever that flips the belt off the track.... it's a singer, maybe they all don't have that?
Mine has a lever to flip it off too, it just doesn't go back on that easily.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:38 PM

you have a derailer right there in front of the treadle wheel. push it aside and turn the wheel and it knocks the belt off.

you must take the belt off the lower wheel before you can put the machine away. Many non-singer cabinets are made differently, but with almost all singers, you must take off the belt first.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:04 PM

Holy Moly that's a gorgeous machine!!! I didn't know about having to loosen the belt on Singer treadles. It's a good tip for future reference.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:23 PM

I agree with the others...this machine is beautiful! You did a great job getting it all cleaned up!

(Just a word of caution...if you get the chance, I'd try to treat those couple rusty parts (bobbin winder and tension adjuster). Both are easy to remove, and you won't mess anything up by taking them off to treat, or you can keep them on if you're very careful. You don't want that corrosion on the metal; it will end up making it brittle, and will be prone to breaking). There is a thread recently started about removing rust which can help if you're not sure how to go about it. That machine is in such great shape, that if you're able to get that off of there, this machine will look new! Great find!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 AM
KLO

Beautiful machine! I also have a Singer treadle but it's really a Plain Jane in comparison. Mine also has that derailer on it that works quite well. You have a great start on your (never ending?) collection of older machines. Good luck with handling your addiction.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:15 AM

While slowly treadling, push the belt shifter lever and immediately stop treadling. The belt will be thrown off to the right side of the great wheel. The reason for stopping the treadle is that the belt will be put right back onto the great wheel if the shifter lever is released and the great wheel is still turning. To rebelt the sm, just begin treadling, in the proper direction, of course. You may need to just wiggle the belt a little between the handwheel and sm bed. In most cases, the belt is grabbed and put right back upon the great wheel. One never needs to get on hands and knees to rebelt these machines.
Johnm