Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Questions about sewing leather on a Dometic treadle machine >

Questions about sewing leather on a Dometic treadle machine

Questions about sewing leather on a Dometic treadle machine

Old 05-27-2013, 06:13 AM

Default Questions about sewing leather on a Dometic treadle machine

Hi, A neighbor just called me and ask about sewing some leather on the old Dometic (I'm not sure if that is correct but that's what she called it) treadle machine that her Dad had left at his cabin. I told her I'm sure it will sew leather because all those treadles are so strong but I'm not sure the size needle and the type of needle she should use. She'll have to get a new treadle belt because that is gone and I'm going to go over and clean it up and oil it for her. I'll take a picture and post it after I go see it. Anyway, does anyone know about the needle size and type. I know my modern machine has a special knifelike needle for sewing leather.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:00 PM
yel

i sew leather for work ,..,.,same needle as everything else and i do sew leather with my 1966 only goes forward and backwards [no zig zag ]brother machine ....i use the same needles but i do turn the machine by hand if i am going through more layers ,over seems and stuff like that ..just so i dont break them
Old 05-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

My old treadle sews leather quite well. I just use an all-purpose needle and a longer stitch length.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:33 PM

Thanks, yel and Tartan. I guess the needle she has will have to work. They are outdated, I understand. ... not available anymore and definitely not the standard 15x1 that is used pretty universally now days. We'll just practice and experiment.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Power Poster

I forgot to add that I sometimes sew the seams with a strip of tissue paper on bottom so the the leather doesn't stick to the machine bed. If it is the dull, dry leather it doesn't stick but shiny leather sometimes doesn't want to feed. I just tear off the tissue when I am done sewing.