Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Quilts made using vintage machines! >

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Old 02-23-2013, 06:24 AM

I'm curious, is the block in the upper left corner one with writing on it? What does it say?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:02 AM

Nanna, it tells part of the story of how the Lilly's came to be. Also around here some of the Lillys go by crazy names like "Grinning Sam", "Sock Head Andy", "Preacher Will", One Arm Bill". The One Arm Bill was an Uncle to the guy I made this for. There are so many Lillys from WV that each year they hold a Lilly Reunion and two years ago they broke the Ginness Book of Records for the most attended at a reunion.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:40 AM

Wow, thats interesting....... How many people show up? My mom goes to a reunion every year and always asks me to go. I haven't gone because I'm 500 miles away. The family dates back to pre 1700 and founded a city in Pa back then. Mom gets the award for being the oldest at the reunion every year now... she's 92 and likes getting that award every year.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 AM

Nanna, president of the Lilly Reunion, estimates family from about 26 states and Canada traveled to Flat Top for the 2010 reunion. The Lillys broke the world record for the largest family reunion; more than 2,500 people registered. You had to be connected to the Lilly name,” he said. “Just anybody couldn’t register. You had to be connected to the Lilly name and show how you were connected." But thousands attend usually wall to wall people.

We aren't Lillys but DH is connected to some Lillys from the past. He also knows tons of the people that go because it's not far from where he grew up.

The guy I made this for DH says that One Arm Bill was his greatgrandfather and lost his arm in the Civil war. Not his uncle.

Probably shouldn't have put all this here should have pm you. sorry about that.

Last edited by Crossstitcher; 02-23-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:46 PM

Trish,
Your quilt is beautiful! I'm glad that the machine wasn't broken.
Sharon
Old 02-23-2013, 03:20 PM

I finished 2 baby quilts this month. Both were made with a treadle and/or electric vintage machines.
The first one is a brick pattern pieced with my Singers 115,201 and quilted with the 237 treadles,binding with the Pfaff 1222 E.
The second one is a string quilt pieced with my Singers 115,201 treadles and quilted with a Viking Sapphire 875(new girl in the machine herd) and the binding sewn with the Pfaff 1222 E. I bind all my quilts with the Pfaff 1222E. The quilt inspectors are in the picture too. My sweetie was being the quilt holder today.
Sharon Weaver
Attached Thumbnails linus-2013-23-2-002.jpg   string-quilt-002.jpg   string-quilt-005.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 04:17 AM

Very nice quilts. I love doing baby quilts. They are so quick.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:22 AM

Well here is my first quilts. My wife Elaine and I have made two quilts for my last two aunts that live in Arizona. They were finally finished yesterday (2-24-13). About three months late. I wanted them there before Christmas. But anyway tomorrow we get them boxed and out.

Here is a pic of each quilt, the wind wasn't cooperating so they were blowing around when I took the pics.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]397498[/ATTACH]
Aunt Dorothy's quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]397500[/ATTACH]
Aunt Sheri's quilt.

The trim around the center section and the edges is as close to their birthday colors as I could match with fabric.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]397501[/ATTACH]
Both quilt tops were pieced together with my moms old HOTHER 15 clone. Here I am doing one of them.

The backing piece on both quilts had to be pieced too. My wife said; do a flat fell seam down the center and it will be strong and very neat looking. Not being too good at those seams yet she just sat down and did them. Zoom zoom, and was done before I could take a pic of it. I don't even remember which of our vintage machines she used to do it.

Here is Elaine pinning the sandwich together.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]397502[/ATTACH]
She must have used a hundred safety pins on each quilt. At least it felt like it when it came to taking them all out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]397503[/ATTACH]
We decided to use the SITD method to quilt them, so here is Elaine trying to do that with the HOTHER. It just would not cooperate. There wasn't enough room under the arch, and at that time it had one of those pinkish/amber cogged belts on it that kept slipping. So we decided to try another machine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]397507[/ATTACH]
We switched to the 201-2. Much better. No lack of power and much more room under the arch. It sewed through the sandwich like it was two layers of cotton.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]397510[/ATTACH]
Inspector Pollyanna checking on the progress.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]397508[/ATTACH]
While doing the quilting the white edged quilt got singed by the machine's light. Oopsie!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]397509[/ATTACH]
We tried several things but we just couldn't get rid of the burn. So Elaine patched it with another kitty picture. Had to keep with the motif. I wanted to use a paw print though.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]397511[/ATTACH]
Doing the binding with our 319K. We used the #20 wavy line cam. It turned out pretty good .
The 319 is Elaine's dream machine. When we got it she himmed and hawwed and didn't want to bid too much. I said: "You have the money, HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT?" She hammered the other bidders with a big bid and they gave up. All we've done with this machine is clean it a bit, oil it and use it. Very nice machine.

After finishing the machines we took them to the laundromat and used the huge 50# machine to wash them. Then dried them.

After hanging out for a couple days we inspected them. One tiny little separation of one pieced section on the red edged quilt, and a couple inches of binding separation on the white edged one. Not too bad for our first quilts. Those were easily repaired. All but impossible to see the fixes too.

Both of these quiltes started out as lap quilts, then grew into a bed quilt.

This has been a learning experience. Now on to the next project.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails aunt-d-quilt-finished.jpg   aunt-s-quilt-finished.jpg   joe-piecing-hother.jpg   elaine-pinning-sandwitch.jpg   trying-sitd-hother.jpg  

quilting-space.jpg   burn-mark.jpg   burn-patch.jpg   inspector-lottatoes.jpg   binding-w-319k.jpg  

Last edited by J Miller; 02-24-2013 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 02-24-2013, 06:26 AM

Trish, I love your Lilly quilt! You need to post a photo of the block with the cross stitch so we can all read it! Now we know why you go by Crossstitcher!

Sharon, those are very pretty baby quilts - they are a really nice size too! Are those for Project Linus? Wow, you and I think alike! I use my Pfaff 1222e for all my bindings too with the walking zig zag stretched to make a scallop!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-24-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:33 AM

Joe, how cool to finish two quilts as a joint effort between you and your wife! You two work great as a team - those quilts turned out very nice. The back looks like a flannel? If it is flannel, those two quilts will be nice and comfy! I also love the progress photos! Very well done!

Obviously, your Aunts love kitties! Your Polyanna cat is really cute too!

Oh, and your 319 looks like it is in pristine shape! I love my 319w in treadle. I use that machine almost every day!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-24-2013 at 06:38 AM.