Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 39 of 76 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 975 of 1884

Thread: Quilts made using vintage machines!

  1. #951
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southeast Georgia
    Posts
    2,522
    LOVE the necklace. We girls must be very particular about out accessories!

  2. #952
    Junior Member totosmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bedford Co, PA
    Posts
    256
    Not a quilt, but a nifty wool applique wall hanging. It was pieced on my Viking 6570 ca 1979 and then FMQd on my Singer 15-91 ca 1952. Quilting it was a joy! That baby makes FMQ easy peasy.

    As I mentioned in the Main Forum, the original pattern was done in batiks, but I modified it for wool and changed the pattern a bit. It will go above the fireplace for the month of November ... once its hanger arrives.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dorothy in PA

  3. #953
    Super Member thepolyparrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,038
    What a darling bunny! No quick project, either - I've made dolls and bears and bunnies and they're some work! But, that's one of the cutest sewing machine covers ever.

    Dorothy, that wallhanging is gorgeous! I have so far managed to resist getting into the whole wool thing, but darn, that IS a beautiful pattern and you did such a wonderful job with it!

  4. #954
    Junior Member totosmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bedford Co, PA
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
    Dorothy, that wallhanging is gorgeous! I have so far managed to resist getting into the whole wool thing, but darn, that IS a beautiful pattern and you did such a wonderful job with it!
    Thank you for the kind words, PolyParrot. It must be a seasonal thing with me because I never turn to wool until it starts to get chilly. Of course, that's when we start to see wool on the shelves of the quilt stores, so ....
    Dorothy in PA

  5. #955
    Senior Member happyquiltmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    564

    Sam's Safari

    Name:  002.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  183.4 KBI just finished this quilt, "Sam's Safari", for a baby born last Tuesday to a family in our church.

    I pieced it on both my Singer 401A and Violet, my 1951 Centennial Featherweight. I FMQed it on my Bernina 830 Record.

  6. #956
    Super Member thepolyparrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,038
    Oh, what a darling baby quilt! And I like how you quilted spirals around the pinwheels - gives them extra motion and texture. Very nicely done - bet the baby's mother was tickled pink! (or blue and yellow! )

  7. #957
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,059
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
    Name:  002.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  183.4 KBI just finished this quilt, "Sam's Safari", for a baby born last Tuesday to a family in our church.

    I pieced it on both my Singer 401A and Violet, my 1951 Centennial Featherweight. I FMQed it on my Bernina 830 Record.
    What a beautiful cheerful quilt. It is great and I agree that I like the spirals around the pinwheels for the movement effect.
    Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

  8. #958
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by totosmom View Post
    Not a quilt, but a nifty wool applique wall hanging. It was pieced on my Viking 6570 ca 1979 and then FMQd on my Singer 15-91 ca 1952. Quilting it was a joy! That baby makes FMQ easy peasy.

    As I mentioned in the Main Forum, the original pattern was done in batiks, but I modified it for wool and changed the pattern a bit. It will go above the fireplace for the month of November ... once its hanger arrives.
    Dorothy, I love the wool cornucopia - that is perfect for fall/thanksgiving time! I too have stayed away from wool, but I bought a whole assortment of wool squares just for appliqueing . . . . I haven't used any of them yet! Maybe, I will start using that stuff too!

    Happyquiltmom, what a nice baby quilt! It looks like you stippled everywhere but the pinwheels? I love the pieced pinwheels in the border - that really makes the quilt! What an easy idea too - to use a large piece of fabric with a pretty motif for a baby and just piece the border! I love it! Great job!

    Nancy

  9. #959
    Senior Member happyquiltmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    564
    Nancy, that's exactly what I did...cut a piece of novelty fabric and added borders. The quilting is not actually stippling, but meandering loops. The pinwheels are quilted with spirals. Nothing fancy.

    Dorothy, I love your wool work. I've been bitten by the wool bug this year. The shop where I work offered a Penny Mat a Month in January and I signed up. They are only 8 inches in diameter and stitched by hand. I have them all done except December's.

  10. #960
    Junior Member totosmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bedford Co, PA
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
    I just finished this quilt, "Sam's Safari", for a baby born last Tuesday to a family in our church.

    I pieced it on both my Singer 401A and Violet, my 1951 Centennial Featherweight. I FMQed it on my Bernina 830 Record.
    HQM, what a delightful quilt! I'm sure Mom and baby will enjoy it for years to come.

    Now tell me a little about FMQ on your Bernina 830 Record. I haven't done that on mine yet.

    I'd also love to see pics of your Penny Mats -- I'm new to this wool applique thing.
    Dorothy in PA

  11. #961
    Senior Member happyquiltmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    564
    Dorothy, I'm about to leave for work (at my LQS! ). Will get some photos of the penny mats up later.

    Basically, I drop the feed dogs, set all the dials to 0 and let 'er rip! I use the Machingers gloves and a large table for support. It takes alot of practice; I started out with small projects and things I didn't mind messing up on. The largest project I've done so far is a queen size quilt.

  12. #962
    Senior Member happyquiltmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    564
    Here's another one I just finished, pieced and straight-line quilted on my Singer 401A , FMQed on my Bernina 830 Record. This is for another couple in our church, whose baby girl was born two weeks ago.
    Name:  002.JPG
Views: 561
Size:  149.4 KB

  13. #963
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
    Here's another one I just finished, pieced and straight-line quilted on my Singer 401A , FMQed on my Bernina 830 Record. This is for another couple in our church, whose baby girl was born two weeks ago.
    Name:  002.JPG
Views: 561
Size:  149.4 KB
    Oh Jeeze that quilt is so cute! Did you applique' the flowers by machine? I have not tried to quilt anything with one of my Rocketeers nor the 401a! The quilting looks great - I don't see any puckers/folds! I would be afraid to straight line quilt without a walking foot!

    Nancy

  14. #964
    Super Member thepolyparrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,038
    happyquiltmom, that is precious! My favorite colors, too!

  15. #965
    Senior Member happyquiltmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    564
    Nancy, I did the straight line quilting with a walking foot on the 401A, the FMQing with a darning foot on the Bernina (my 401A doesn't like FMQing). The secret to no puckers/folds is taking care with the basting. I use curved safety pins when I'm machine quilting; thread when I'm hand quilting.
    The applique was done by hand...Wonder Under fused, then buttonhole stitched with #12 perle cotton.
    I haven't gifted the quilt yet...the family hasn't been to church since the baby was born.

  16. #966
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,579
    Blog Entries
    19
    What a perfect baby quit! Your flowers are outstanding!

  17. #967
    Super Member Crossstitcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,059
    Blog Entries
    7
    Love the baby quilt pattern and the colors. Any new mom would love to have a quilt like this.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

    Trish

  18. #968
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
    Nancy, I did the straight line quilting with a walking foot on the 401A, the FMQing with a darning foot on the Bernina (my 401A doesn't like FMQing). The secret to no puckers/folds is taking care with the basting. I use curved safety pins when I'm machine quilting; thread when I'm hand quilting.
    The applique was done by hand...Wonder Under fused, then buttonhole stitched with #12 perle cotton.
    I haven't gifted the quilt yet...the family hasn't been to church since the baby was born.
    Well the mom who receives that quilt is going to love it! You did a great job with the satin stitch! I do machine applique' too, but I usually use the blanket stitch - I am not that good with the satin stitch!

    Nancy

  19. #969
    Senior Member happyquiltmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    564
    Nancy, It's not satin stitch. I call it buttonhole stitch, but I think it's the same thing as blanket stitch. And, it's done by hand, not machine.

    I do machine applique sometimes, but usually use monofilament thread and a narrow zigzag. My machines don't do blanket stitch.
    Cindy

    Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

  20. #970
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    249
    Name:  Uvpc4aYApnPImFlnwE_uX557xo2K_5OATYg-ItyYrgM.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  49.7 KBHere's my latest everything but the kitchen sink scrappy stars. I used up a ton of left over stars, and made some more, too. I store my finished tops on the wire so I don't forget about them, and so I can see the whole thing while I think about how I'm going to quilt it. Although, who am I kidding, It's usually feathers on everything. Laura

  21. #971
    Senior Member happyquiltmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    564
    Oh, I like that! Very colorful!
    Cindy

    Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

  22. #972
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    Name:  Uvpc4aYApnPImFlnwE_uX557xo2K_5OATYg-ItyYrgM.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  49.7 KBHere's my latest everything but the kitchen sink scrappy stars. I used up a ton of left over stars, and made some more, too. I store my finished tops on the wire so I don't forget about them, and so I can see the whole thing while I think about how I'm going to quilt it. Although, who am I kidding, It's usually feathers on everything. Laura
    Laura, what a pretty, and very bright, top! Love the scrappy stars set in the pink background! I'd like to see all the finished tops! Do you machine quilt or long arm quilt? I can't remember!

    Nancy

  23. #973
    Super Member thepolyparrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,038
    Laura, that's gorgeous! What a cheerful, happy quilt! And I love your idea of stringing a wire to hold up all the finished tops. I've got mine draped over the upstairs balcony, but with one on top of the other, I don't have as good a view as you do. Good thinking!

    I'm also addicted to feathers - I like other designs, but once I caught on to feathers, I tend to put them everywhere.

  24. #974
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    249
    Thanks every one! I quilt on either my 31-20 or my 201. I have an easier time on the 201, but really want to get the treadle quilting down, as it would be a bit of exercise! Also, the throat space on the 31-20 is really big. I got the wire I string my quilts on at IKEA, in the curtain section. It also hides the rack that id filled with machines from daily view by DH, he he! Laura

  25. #975
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,059
    Blog Entries
    19
    The first and last commissioned quilt in my foreseeable future. Affectionately called the quilt from hell or Chris' butterfly follies. The 1st is Rebeckah sitting on the project. It is all pieced and quilted on her ~ she's a 301. 2nd pic is the 3D butterfly applique which I thought was a unique touch. It is sewed on not ironed one. The 3rd is the front of the quilt and the last is the back of the quilt. I hope the recipient likes this one. Lots of time in the quilting and cutting of fabric so not too many headless butterflies.
    Attached Images Attached Images



    Last edited by chris_quilts; 11-26-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Page 39 of 76 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.