Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 68 of 76 FirstFirst ... 18 58 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 1884

Thread: Quilts made using vintage machines!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monopas View Post
    It was making the 9 patch blocks, and your work on Ashlea's quilt that got me started and took the fear out of it.
    Yippie!!!!! keep it up!!!! Ashlea would be right there telling you that you can do it!!!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

I have just been bitten by the treadle/ hand crank bug and want to start sewing. Can someone tell me what adjustments need to be made to get the top thread to pick up the bobbin thread? I have a New House treadle and a Jones hand crank machine. Help,

treadlingon

Hi! And welcome! No adjustments specific to treadling or hand cranking need to be done to make a stitch. The most common reasons for skipped stitches with treadling would be 1. the needle in wrong, usually backwards, but off the top of my head, I'm not sure if either of your machines uses a round shank needle, so it could be more than just backwards if so and 2. Turning the handwheel the wrong way. Again, not knowing your specific machines - most machines turn the handwheel toward you and most handcranks are cranked away from you to turn the handwheel forwards but there are a few manufacturers who had machines that turned the wheel backward to stitch.

Blog Entries
    I would google search until I found specific info on the machines whether a blog, here or a manual site.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Treadlingon, We need to know if the Jones is a CS or model. It will take a 28X1 needle and the New House is a New Home it will take a 20X1 needle, If it is a New Home you can use a common 15X1 needle and cheat it down a little in the needle clamp. Start by bringing it down by 1/8 inch or until it picks up the bobbin thread. Really we need to see a pic of the machines to determine the correct needle for each machine.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

So clever. A "collie" lover will snap that one up.

My, my Mrs Finch. What kind of border are you thinking?

Hey marblemad! The collie is my sister's dog. Maybe khaki with white flowers - I cut it out but have other irons in the fire now.

Here is my Christmas Tree - no room for a big one, so this will do. FMQ done on my Singer 15. Panels are great for practice - and I need all the practice I can get.

And some closeup pictures for Rodney ( so you can really see my mistakes!)

The outlining is all done in gold embroidery thread, the filler was clear glitter thread.

My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Cathy, that is beautiful and the perfect Christmas tree! (I am allergic to trees, so we haven't had one in many years.) You did a great job, and the embelleshments are well balanced.

Ooh, the close ups show it's even more beautiful than the pic in the other thread shows. Very nice work.

Cari

that is very pretty.
    Alyce

Cathy, that is absolutely stunning. Love the quilting (looks perfect) and the details are just amazing. You should enter this in a show it's a total winner. Beautiful.

WOW. Very Cool. Love the quilting in the white areas!
    Sabine

Blog Entries
    Cathy, how exquisitely beautiful. Think I will work on one for us for next year.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

2014 has been the Year of Vintage Machines for me. I got a Rocketeer as a Channukah present last year, and haven't touched my electronic machine since. I finished this top:

Name:  11988359794_5f5f2e4cf8_z.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  139.0 KB

It's foundation pieced on flannel squares, so it's being a coverlet while patiently waiting for me to feel confident enough in my free motion quilting to tackle finishing it. I also started these two:

A flannel wall that's backed with canvas for better pinning. I'm using it as a FMQ sampler. All the FMQ work has been done on my 15-90 treadle, and the piecing and outline quilting of the squares was done on the Rocketeer. There's much more progress than shown if you look at my flickr album, but it's hard to photograph FMQ on a white background!

Name:  12601456233_3b85931d5c_z.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  140.9 KB

A top based on the one block wonder block, but with interstitial triangles:

Name:  15629778830_289b768528_z.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  152.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Jennigma,

I like the quilts. They are lovely. I especially like the 3rd one in your post #1691.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Chris,

That one I want to expand out to be a full/queen size comforter, but haven't come up with the right design yet. This is the closest I've gotten:

Name:  new layout 141208.png
Views: 392
Size:  1.09 MB

Most of the interstitial triangles were made from a yellow to blue gradient fabric, so I'm looking at using that in the background. I may need to strip it to get it wide enough for the larger partial hexes in this layout-- I need to get it on the cutting table with a ruler and see what I can do. :-)

Blog Entries
    Jenni;

That layout is just gorgeous as are the colors. I'm more of a purple gal myself but your color combo is stunning and I cannot wait to see the finished project. I hope the qiuilting gods smile on your efforts to make it large enough.

Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

I really like how that OBW looks with the gradient shading triangles. Makes me want to take apart the one I started and change it, because I was after a look like that but couldn't get it. I've only sewed about half the blocks into rows, so not that far along.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Yeah, I pulled my hair out trying to get an interesting contrast out of the fabric I chose and it just wasn't there to be found. I looked for a second fabric to make a contrasting set of blocks, but this color combo is so unusual there was nothing else out there like it. So I came up with the triangles idea. :-) Now I'm trying to figure out how to make it into a bed quilt. Something will work out!

Blog Entries
    Jennigma can you explain to me what is on your 15-88? I know around the needle you are using some sort of darning foot or something...what is it specifically? Also what is the round black thing with screws thingy on the top of your machine? I can't see it well enough to tell.
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

It's a 15-90 I pulled the motor from. The round thing is a microscope light-- lots of bright white LED's in a ring. I was hoping I could get it to fit around the needle and presser bar, but couldn't rig it so it didn't interfere with the thread path. I've stopped using it and have just gotten more LED table lamps from Ikea that are positioned around the table, like this one:

Name:  harte-led-work-lamp__0300785_PE383095_S4.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  12.5 KB
    the darning foot is a pretty standard one, like this:

Name:  1382527824906806775268.jpeg
Views: 305
Size:  10.3 KB

I also have a finger guard installed from sew-classic.com:

Name:  SCFLSFingerGuard.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  276.6 KB

It's a bit of a trick to get both of them installed without interfering with each other, but it's important to me to avoid piercing my finger. :-)

Blog Entries
    Well you certainly are creative! I see why I wasn't sure about the darning foot.....I didn't realize you had also added the finger guard. Thanks for sharing your techniques!
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Blog Entries
    Christmas quilt and pillows done on my 201. WAIT! is that a dog in my pillows?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 68 of 76 FirstFirst ... 18 58 67 68 69 ... LastLast