Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23 63 72 73 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 1884

Thread: Quilts made using vintage machines!

That is awesome, I love string quilts and sewing with strings, just love the color variations and all. It looks so neat with your sewing machine sitting there, nice machine too, nice job.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    Very pretty. I like the way you could use up a lot of scrap material this way. You did a beautiful job matching up every thing.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

I have a Franklin treadle machine that my nephew gave me recently. I tried quilting a lap quilt and quickly but after much frustration, I can not quilt on it. I've never seen a walking foot but I like you work. Does anyone know if there is a different type presser foot for my machine? If it would give like the one on my new machine I outdoor be able to use to quilt, at least I think so.

Blog Entries
    Calamity, I looked at Franklin machines on line and if your feet are not back clamping, but are low shank feet that connect by a screw on the left side, you should be able to get a walking foot from: shop.sew-classic. The walking foot I use for my Singer 66 should work for you. It is the Straight Stitch Low Shank Walking Foot. Works perfectly for my treadle. It is made to work with narrow feed dogs which is what these older straight stitch machines have. You could phone them before ordering just to check. They are super helpful. Good luck.

It's finally finished. My Wacky quilt that I started back in 2013 went to Macybaby early this year. I built the topper with vintage machines, but with the health issues, move and a lack of space I couldn't get to quilting it. So I asked her if she could quilt it for me when she got her long arm set up and she said yes. It was well worth the wait.
    A month or so ago she emailed me and said the backing I sent for it wasn't big enough. Ooopsie! We thought it was but we had underestimated the size of the topper. Turns out it's king size. 1287 3 1/2" squares assembled with the HOTHER and other vintage machines, that took me almost 2 years to do. But it was worth it.

Here's some pics of the quilt:

I can't find the in progress pics but here is the finished topper laid over the bed:
    Name:  Chevron patch quilt 001.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  210.0 KB
    Name:  Chevron patch quilt 002.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  208.2 KB

Finished quilt on the bed:
    Name:  IMG_0046.JPG
Views: 463
Size:  212.0 KB

We asked her if she any cat patterns for the quilting and she said yes. So
    here's the pattern she used.
    Name:  IMG_0052.JPG
Size:  213.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6340.JPG
Views: 465
Size:  215.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6335.JPG
Views: 462
Size:  189.8 KB

She used a nice green trim of some kind and a matching green thread to attach it and quilt the quilt. The binding looks like it was done with a professional machine or a binder. Perhaps Macybaby will post a comment on how she did it. We'd like a tute cos those we've done so far haven't look anywhere near as nice.
    Name:  IMG_6350.JPG
Size:  149.9 KB
    Ambrosia had to see what I was doing.
    Name:  IMG_6351.JPG
Views: 465
Size:  178.1 KB

My wife and I really love the end result. It's nice and warm and not too heavy. Well worth the time and effort it took for us to make it.

Cathy, thanks for quilting it for us, we do appreciate it.

Joe / Elaine
    I love the old iron and wood machines. They're solid and reliable.
    Founder of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism .

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    very nice patterns.

Nice quilt.
    Carol

Joe and Elaine it's a beautiful quilt, love the cat quilting too. The binding is very well done (I am a lover of binding and I like a neat finish). As for your pussycats, they are just gorgeous (they seem to greatly approve of the quilt too). Thanks for sharing.

Great looking quilt Joe! The cats seem pleased too.
    Great job quilting it Cathy!
    rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

By looking at the binding Cathy did I see one thing different right off from what I have done. Cathy used really small stitches. I've never done them that small. That could be why mine gave me such trouble.
    Next quilt I bind I'll use the small stitches and see how that works.

Joe

Joe, I almost never sew with a stitch larger than 2.5 on my Viking, which I think is about 12 per inch, but I'd have to measure to be sure.

I did do the flannel on the bias since it's thicker than what I normally work with. Most often I use it cut WOF (because that has a bit of stretch). Mostly I think it's just that I've got a LOT of practice, like years and miles of stitching.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    2.5 on my Viking, which I think is about 12 per inch, but I'd have to measure to be sure.
    25.4mm to an inch. 10spi. I was forced to be bilingual in math at least - My dad spoke imperial, we were taught metric and he helped me with my homework if I got stuck.

I do agree that the quilt and binding both look great!

Jo, The way I've been doing my bindings lately - these are not supposed to be show quality, just utility bindings:
    Set my guide up for a fat quarter inch, stitch the binding to the back of the quilt, mitering corners, joining the ends, etc. Bring the binding to the front making sure I cover the first stitch line by maybe about a 1/16", move my needle 2 "clicks" to the left and stitch the front down. With a 2" binding, I'm getting a nice consistent fairly straight stitched binding. It puts the top stitching on the binding on both sides of the quilt so it looks uniform - which is good because I've been doing small projects lately that people see both sides of. This could also be mimicked on a straight stitch (fixed needlebar) machine with an external guide that moves to the right "two notches" - or probably a little less than 1/8". If there's any interest in the process, I'll measure how much a "click" is on the Pfaff and figure out how much of an inch it is.

Or else this one is popular right now. It takes some adjustments if you're not using the Bernina foot she talks about. My Felling foot is a 6mm and my Pfaff lets me put the needle outside the felling area which ruins the whole process - so I can't just put the needle all the way to the left I have to play a little. The binding comes out looking very much like the way I described above.

Tammi,

I'll have to check to see if our Bernina 930 has such a foot. It looks interesting and doable. Are these feet made for other machines?

Joe

Bernina feet (the ones that look like a bionic leg) are Bernina only. Flat Felling Feet are made for every machine I've ever come across.

Blog Entries
    Very pretty quilt! Sometimes we get too involved in every thing being coordinated and planned. Then you see a good old fashioned quilt made with scraps and white to off set the colors and it is a relief to the eyes and just plain beautiful. Love it.

ArchaicArcane, your way is the way I have done my bindings for many years now. I some times use a decorative stitch also for the last stitch. This is a very nice way to do bindings and is not hard to do at all.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
    ArchaicArcane, your way is the way I have done my bindings for many years now. I some times use a decorative stitch also for the last stitch. This is a very nice way to do bindings and is not hard to do at all.
    I'm curious, where does this process come from? I just looked at my guide one day and thought hmm,... this is just simple math, let's try it.... I didn't google for it or anything but I knew I couldn't be doing something "new".

Oh and I fibbed. I use 2 1/4" binding, not 2".

I like the decorative stitches - they help catch edges you might have otherwise missed too.

Shoo Fly quilt

I just finished the top of a twin size quilt for one of my boys last night. It was done about half and half on a newer (1998) plastic Kenmore, then when that quit on me half way through, I bought a 1960's Montgomery Ward Signature, and was able to complete it. I actually have another top to put together for my other son, and hoping to finish before we leave at Christmas, as my Mom has a long-arm for me to use. Here's a picture of it with the machine (which I decorated because it wasn't pretty enough). Not perfect, but I'm sure it will be loved.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I like it, I like it both quilt and machine.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Your quilts is very pretty, doesn't have to be perfect! I also like how you prettied up your machine, was wondering what Ward's machine that was that was so pretty, cool idea.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Great quilt for a boy and I love the butterflies. Are they decals? I've seen what they call sewing machine tattoos before, not sure if they're decals or vinyl clings.

Cari

They are vinyl wall stickers from the dollar store! I thought I could give it a shot for a buck, and now I call it my butterfly machine.

Are any of us doing Bonnie Hunter's Mystery quilt on our vintage machine's? I'm using my 301 long bed, and loving it.
    Kasey 1937 221-1 Featherweight, Red Eye Singer Treadle 66-1, 2 301's both long and short bed, 403, Free Number 5 Treadle, Jones hand crank Kenmore 158 19131, Viking Lilly 555

Quote Originally Posted by msleepingbeauty00 View Post
    They are vinyl wall stickers from the dollar store! I thought I could give it a shot for a buck, and now I call it my butterfly machine.
    Thanks! I'm headed to the dollar store tomorrow!

Cari

This one was also cut free.
    Anastasia - I like to sew square things.

Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23 63 72 73 74 ... LastLast