Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Recently exploring machines... >

Recently exploring machines...

Recently exploring machines...

Old 06-02-2021, 07:02 PM

The shuttle mechanism isn't visible under the slide plate of the 127, which may be due to the shuttle mechanism in the "rear" part of the shuttle path. Ask the seller to rotate the hand wheel, and share a photo of the mechanism once it arrives in the front slide plate area.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:38 PM

The woman selling the 27 was super kind enough to make me two videos of the treadle and the shuttle moving under the needle. So kind of her considering she knows nothing about these and only did it because she knows the trip is a bit long for us. The treadle squeeks a bit but I imagine that's normal since it hasn't been properly oiled in some time? I'd love to share the videos here to see if it sparks anything to anyone we should be wary of. Can I get some help with that?
Old 06-05-2021, 04:23 PM

I don't think you can attach a video to a post, here. Were you able to see the shuttle? Here is a video about threading the shuttle and machine at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HbICbcF1tk It seems like a lot of the videos are noisier in general than what they seem in real life. Quite probably it is in need of oil, cleaning (although it looks in really nice shape), and maybe a little adjusting.

{Edit} - FYI - the 127 came after the 27 and I'm pretty sure all the 27s had a spoon shaped metal piece under the tension assembly to release the tension to pull the thread through easily, whereas the 127 had an automatic tension release when you raise the presser foot it has a pin that releases the tension. Sometimes these need to be disassembled and cleaned to have them work properly.

Another {Edit} is the slide plate in one of the drawers and are there any other goodies in the drawers? That really is a nice looking machine. I don't remember the belt guide on my 27 treadle. Oil is probably needed on the treadle, too. You just don't want to get any on the belt.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 06-05-2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:44 PM

Ok turning treadle wheel. Unfortunately she only caught the end.
And shuttle movement.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:58 PM

I'm not positive, but I think the squeak is just a for oil.

The shuttle sure looks nicer than most of mine.

Old 06-10-2021, 07:35 PM

Machine adopted and brought home!
Pictures soon if anyone's interested.

In the meantime, is there a specific procedure for cleaning that everyone knows about? The original paint job is mostly there but there are worn places where the metal is exposed and others places where a bit of rust has set in. The machine itself is pretty spotless except for shiny metal parts being a little rough.
Can anyone recommend good general practices for cleaning?

Last edited by tinpanalley; 06-10-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:29 AM

There is a sticky thread How to Clean Up and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav

Basically, just wipe with soft cotton cloth and sewing machine oil. The metal pieces can be removed and polished with metal polish. If the worn places are smooth, can just oil. Some have used other things to clean or polish with mixed results. Some products (even just water) will silver the gold decals so be careful if you should use anything other the sewing machine oil.

As for the treadle base, I have only used sewing machine oil on those. However, if you want to touch-up the parts that are down to bare metal, I used a Testors paint with a fine brush on my sister's machine head. My brother repainted the treadle irons. Another paint that could be used is Duplicolor #DE1635 Spray paint. as indicated at Let's talk about rust and if just touching up small areas, you can spray into the lid or something and apply with a brush.

Old 06-11-2021, 05:32 AM

And post pictures! Before, during, after or any combination thereof.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:09 PM

Hello everyone, just wanted to come back in here to say we've been at the treadle base for the past few weeks when we've had time. First doing a little de-rusting and then doing a full oil coat.
For the wooden cabinet, we got some Murphy's Oil Soap. What's the best method for cleaning, rags, super-fine steel wool?
Old 07-27-2021, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
If that number (G304778) is correct
PS, I checked again and I had made a relatively simple mistake. The number is actually G3047778. I was missing a number.