Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Recognizing Old Singer Sewing Machines

JJs
    Banned
    I'm hoping this pdf will upload okay.
    I've seen a lot of people on here get all excited about finding a "Featherweight" only to find out they actually have a 66 or 99 or 15 - not that there's anything wrong with those machines - they are all great but they fershure aren't Featherweights.
    So I worked this up and hopefully it will help people recognize some of the various machines. I don't have a 201 or a few of the other desirable machines so didn't include them.
    Print this out and take it with you when you are out looking at old machines!
    Attached Images Attached Images

JJs
    Banned
    ps, if you use tabbed Internet Explorer or Firefox, you can right click on the word "download" and then "open in new tab" to see the pdf file.

Thank-you so much for the wonderful reference guide. Not only are they great pictures but you've also described their main features. That's a beautiful collection you have.

Blog Entries
    wow, thanks, love looking at the old machines

just rubbed my old machine and it's a Godzilla. Now for the time to clean him up.

Thanks!

OOOH I have a 301. It was my mother's. I haven't gotten it out of the closet in years. But I used to sew on it all the time through the 70's.
    Someday I want a handcrank machine too.
    And a treadle too if I ever live in a house again instead of a small apartment and have enough room.
    I'm envious of your collection.
    Thanks for the pics.

JJs
    Banned
    get that 301 out and use it girl~ That's a fantastic machine for piecing! and fabulous for free motion quilting....

Quote Originally Posted by JJs
    get that 301 out and use it girl~ That's a fantastic machine for piecing! and fabulous for free motion quilting....
    I might some day. I remember how nicely it sewed. I even used to know how to use the cams. But I'd feel guilty for not using my current expensive machine that I just had to have...lol.

Very beautiful old machines. I have a Singer 328K with the fashion discs for fancy stitches and it still works and uses regular Singer needles. I got it in November 1963.

Thank you so much for the pictures of the Singer machines .. i have a 301 A a featherweight and a 99 eletric , they were all from family .. i love them .

thanks for the info. I will print it out just because.

I do have a couple of old machines need to check what models.

One is a treadle, one will be coming home in a week or so, and one I brought up and is in the kitchen, but closed in the cabinet.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for this handy information :D:D:D

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I was one who got excited and I still am. I wasn't looking for an antique or something worth tons of money...I am not a sewing machine entrepreneaur...just thought if it was a Singer and black and looked like this it was a featherweight. Like a brand name and not a particular machine. I am still researching my baby and am just as excited even though she isn't a featherweight. Now my curiousity is up enough to want to see what this featherweight so special. More to learn . Thanks for the post.

JJs
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric-holic
    I might some day. I remember how nicely it sewed. I even used to know how to use the cams. But I'd feel guilty for not using my current expensive machine that I just had to have...lol.
    um, the 301 does NOT have cams/discs - it is a straight stitch only machine, the 306, 319, 328, 401 have cams (and others)

Quote Originally Posted by fabric-holic
    um, the 301 does NOT have cams/discs - it is a straight stitch only machine, the 306, 319, 328, 401 have cams (and others)
    lol...I love your "um"....my machine looks like the 301 but its the color of the 401, has cams, and has a lift up extension to the left like the 301. Can you tell me what it is?

Thank you! It should really help at garage sales!

JJs
    Banned
    lol...I love your "um"....my machine looks like the 301 but its the color of the 401, has cams, and has a lift up extension to the left like the 301. Can you tell me what it is?
    haven't the foggiest - the 301 does not take cams
    the 401 does not have an extension
    AFAIK the 301s and 221 are the only ones with extensions - so who knows

why don't you post a picture of it so we can figure it out?

Blog Entries
    I have a 306 and was wondering about the needles. Someone else on the board said it took a special needle also. What kind does it take? And where do you find them?

JJs
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    I have a 306 and was wondering about the needles. Someone else on the board said it took a special needle also. What kind does it take? And where do you find them?
    http://www.allbrands.com/products/abc0611.html
    scroll down until you find the three available for the 306/319/206
    they have size 12, 14 and 16.
    I bought size 14 and I use my 319 for piecing

and no that is not "too expensive" - it's 50 each

haven't the foggiest - the 301 does not take cams
    the 401 does not have an extension
    AFAIK the 301s and 221 are the only ones with extensions - so who knows

why don't you post a picture of it so we can figure it out?
    Huh?? You want me to dig it out from ddddeeeepppp inside my closet? It's been in there a long time....Jimmy Hoffa might be hiding next to it.....but I will give it a try this weekend when I get back in town.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I have an old Singer which I did dig out of the storage shed.
    It has a rough finish like the Godzilla, But has a long spindle-like bobbin. I know my Dad bought it for my Mom in 1955 or 1956. It has a wooden mail-box shaped cover. Any ideas as to what I have?
    serial #AJ86154O

JJs
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boopers
    I have an old Singer which I did dig out of the storage shed.
    It has a rough finish like the Godzilla, But has a long spindle-like bobbin. I know my Dad bought it for my Mom in 1955 or 1956. It has a wooden mail-box shaped cover. Any ideas as to what I have?
    serial #AJ86154O
    according to the singer website you have a 128

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a singer 66 treadle machine from e-bay for 16.75. It is 75 years old and in full working order with a host of feet... but my is that treadle hard!

Hugs

Caroline

JJs
    Banned
    you may want to visit the vintage machine virtual area but don't ask me how to find it cause I don't know how to find something that isn't really there...
    you may just need to clean and oil your treadle - it shouldn't be hard to treadle..

you may want to visit the vintage machine virtual area but don't ask me how to find it cause I don't know how to find something that isn't really there...
    you may just need to clean and oil your treadle - it shouldn't be hard to treadle..
    Hi JJ...

No.. what I meant that it is hard work to keep it going... the treadle is as smooth as silk.... maybe my poor old legs are not up to treadle sewing anymore!

Hugs

Caroline

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast