Removing rust

Old 06-20-2014, 11:13 AM

Default Removing rust

I have been reading a bit about rust removal for different sewing machine parts and I have also looked at some of the videos posted here under the resources discussion - I have a few questions for the experts:

If the part is very rusted do you use a wire brush or lightly sand before applying the rust remover to get rid of any flaking or loose pieces first?

When using the rust remover, can any further damage to the integrity of the metal occur (other than what has already occurred due to corrosion)?

Have you ever had a part fall apart from the corrosion?

For accessories, is there a point where it is just not worth saving because of corrosion?

There are many products for rust removal and some people even suggest using vinegar or cola. What are some dependable names of products to use that will not create further damge to the metal?

I am hoping to clean up a poor neglected machine and some of her accessories.

I was also thinking that perhaps I should use some of the rust removal techniques to a few 'sad irons' that I have but I was wondering if the raised lettering on the irons would be affected.

Thanks so much for your help and experience

Last edited by costumegirl; 06-20-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:26 AM

I use a brass wire brush(about the size of a tooth brush) to get rid of the loose rust and use evaporust. It will not harm the metal in anyway. I use evaporust on attachments without harm then polish then with Brasso. For the shiny plates that are rusty I also soak them in evaporust then polish with brasso and very fine steel wool and then again with a soft rag. For the irons I use a cupped wire brush in a drill to derust.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
...Thanks so much for your help and experience
1. Brass wire brush. For rough parts/pieces I apply Brasso to the brush and use it that way.
NOTE: Brasso will remove any decals it come int contact with, so be cautious.

2. Steel is not porous in the usual sense of the word. Metal below the surface should actually be protected by the rust (until you remove it) If you look at my recent posts about the American Treadle, you can see some before and after. the metal under the rust was very clean. ALL of that was done with wire brush, brasso, and 0000 Steel wool

3. I have some parts that became very pitted from the rust, but when cleaned but they are still solid.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

I have had good results with citric acid. Put the parts in a zip bag, add enough water to cover. Sprinkle some citric acid, mix and let it set overnight. Then do the clean up.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

There is a product called Wink. I know it removes rust stains. I have also used WD-20 to remove light rust BUT I have never used either on sewing machine parts