Repairing a Singer 301

Old 08-09-2013, 09:12 AM

Default Repairing a Singer 301

Hello, everyone!
This is my first post here, I hope this the correct place to ask this question. Here goes...

I just got a "new" (to me) Singer 301 yesterday. I unpacked her and oiled her up. The gears inside looked pretty well greased, and I have more grease on order. I fired her up, and she ran very nice and smooth, so overall, I am extremely happy!

There is just one little problem, though. The bobbin winding mechanism doesn't seem to work properly. The little black rubber "tire" doesn't turn when it comes into contact with the flywheel. I tried adding a drop of oil, but that didn't help at all. I also tried pushing it more firmly into the flywheel, and that didn't help. Also, I noticed that when I run the machine at high speeds with the needle mechanism disengaged (as if I was going to wind a bobbin), the machine seems to want to slip back into gear, engaging the needle mechanism ever so slightly.

I would like to repair this, because I don't want to go purchase a second bobbin winder. Is this something I can do myself? I have very basic mechanical skills, and I'm not afraid to give it a shot. Or, should this be handled by a pro? Also, is this clutch slippage that I mentioned a matter of great concern? I don't need to wind bobbins at full speed. I just want to wind bobbins!

Any advice or help you can give me would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Old 08-09-2013, 09:35 AM

Youve come to the right place! I suspect the little rubber tire is just old and has lost its get up and go. Http://shop.sew-classic.com/Bobbin-W...-Tires_c16.htm or i think joanns in occasion does sell them.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:49 AM

Great! Thanks for the link. I just ordered a few, along with some other supplies I need.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 AM

Can you turn the bobbin winder by hand? I've had a couple that were seized up and I had to really work them to get them to turn. I even had to resort to using a drill, which was suggested to me, to turn the winder while I oiled it, and wiped away the black gunk that came out as it turned.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:08 PM

Yes, it will turn by hand, though not very easily. Is it supposed to spin freely? I don't have a frame of reference.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:11 PM

I don't think it is the tire that is the problem. You said you pushed the tire against the fly wheel and it still wouldn't go. It should have turned when pushing it. If you have any Amish or Mennonite living nearby, they will know of a repair shop that could fix that for you quite reasonably. A check over may be in order, and you will be so happy with it. I love mine.

Last edited by maviskw; 08-09-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rosenkavalier35 View Post
Yes, it will turn by hand, though not very easily. Is it supposed to spin freely? I don't have a frame of reference.
Yes, it should spin fairly freely.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rosenkavalier35 View Post
Is it supposed to spin freely?
Yes it is (like a few others have said).
Winders are supposed to free wheel, as in you should be able to spin it with your little finger (ideally). The easier they spin the less damage to the rubber ring.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:18 AM

On the bobbin winder, there is an oil spot. It's a tiny hole that you can see to the right of where the bobbin goes.

Get some Tri-flow, drip a drop in there. Start rolling the bobbin tire back and forth with your fingers. You will feel it loosen up. If necessary, repeat one more time.

It doesn't hurt to change the tire anyway, even if it's still round, it's probably concrete, and possibly full of hairline cracks that will leave tire dust everywhere.

The other issue is hardened oil. This should help you:
http://vssmb.blogspot.ca/2012/06/how...ving.html#more