Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
replacement foot pedal for Kenmore? >

replacement foot pedal for Kenmore?

replacement foot pedal for Kenmore?

Old 01-25-2024, 07:42 PM

Default replacement foot pedal for Kenmore?

Hello! I'm looking for a replacement foot pedal for a Kenmore 158.18150, and I'm hoping someone here can point me in a good direction.
This Kenmore belongs to my 74 year old mom, she took it in for repair and the tech narrowed it down to an electrical issue with the foot pedal but he told her he can't fix wiring issues. My mom *thinks* the cord got pinched, but she's not the best at diagnosing issues, so I don't know for sure if that's the issue. I'd happily buy her a new machine, but she's had this one since 1970-something and it's difficult for her to learn new things.
TIA
Attached Thumbnails kenmore-1.jpg   kenmore-2.jpg  
Old 01-26-2024, 04:48 AM

Sewingpartsonline.com part # 032270116 - $47.99 I've used this resource more than once for machine parts and have always been pleased.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:21 AM

Interesting that they ( https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/pr...trol-032270116 ) guarantee that it will fit the 158.18150 even though it doesn't have the notch like #6817 https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/pr...d-kenmore-6817 which is unfortunately not available.
I guess they have a disclaimer
Some machine models have changed the style of foot control they use through the years of their production. Please compare our picture of the end of the cord with the configuration of the spot where the plug goes into your machine. If you are unsure it will match, please email us a clear picture of where the plug goes into your machine and we would be happy to assist you.
I'm wondering if you have someone that could possibly test it with a multi meter and make sure that that is the problem with the machine. I don't know how to use one, but from my understanding it is possible. https://www.reddit.com/r/AskElectron...ith/?rdt=41685 I think I would do some more research into testing with a multi meter and perhaps someone who is more familiar with this type of thing. Maybe someone more familiar will jump in and confirm or deny it is possible and advised.

It isn't the most wanted solution, but I think that if the plug is half way decent that one could splice the cord with new wiring for the foot controller and wall plug.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:52 AM

I agree with Janey in that I would do more research before dropping $50. Kind of guessing here, but I believe the plug in your picture attaches underneath the machine on the right hand side, and then the cord runs out the back right side of the case through a channel molded in the plastic. Examine the cord from the plug to the foot pedal and look for any breaks in the coating.

If you have a multimeter, or a battery powered continuity tester, you can test the foot pedal, might take some trial and error given that there are a few combinations of pin pairs to try to find which ones are the foot pedal. The probes from a continuity tester (ohmmeter setting on a multimeter) would be in two of the three holes in the machine-end plug, press the foot pedal and see if the continuity tester lights up (typically there's a battery and a small bulb, if you complete the circuit the bulb lights up; or on an ohmmeter a completed circuit would show zero resistance).

That's where I would start, see what you find.