Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Replacement pedal for vintage Kenmore - is it OK if amperage is higher on the pedal? >

Replacement pedal for vintage Kenmore - is it OK if amperage is higher on the pedal?

Replacement pedal for vintage Kenmore - is it OK if amperage is higher on the pedal?

Old 02-14-2024, 11:25 AM

Default Replacement pedal for vintage Kenmore - is it OK if amperage is higher on the pedal?

Hi all. I'm posting to ask about amperage for foot pedals: is it OK if the amperage on the foot pedal is higher than the machine?

I have a Kenmore 385.15618 sewing machine with a missing foot pedal (I know it works, we lost the pedal sadly). On the machine, it lists 0.6 amperage, 115-125 Volts as the settings for the machine.

I have been searching on Ebay/Amazon and sadly I can't find an exact match, but I do find pedals that say the can work with some more recent Kemmore 385s. Voltage seems in the approximate range but one lists at 7 amps, another is 3 amps but nothing lower than 3 amps. I am assuming that it is OK if the pedal has higher amperage since the machine will only use what is needed?

Thank you!
Old 02-15-2024, 07:03 AM

The only safe advice I can give for you to do is consult an electrician.

That being said, I can tell you what I would do. I would assume the foot pedal numbers are the max it's rated to handle. I would assume that because the motor is rated to draw less than the foot pedal rating that the foot pedal would work for the motor. I would hook it all together and try to make it work.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:49 AM

Thanks! I can't find any pedals that list anything lower than 3A, and that was my thought as wel, so I do plan to try it out and see if it works.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:49 PM

Does the original controller say "electronic" on it, or do you think it's the older resistance type? I tried to find some info but sewing machine search results are so cluttered up with junk, I gave up.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:15 AM

I am not sure to be honest.

But, as an update, I did buy the pedal and it works fine, so that's good news!