Replacing Needles Often

Old 09-27-2020, 12:48 PM

The first "new" needle may have been just fine when I put it in, but what I think happened is that I had not quite fine tuned the hook system enough such that the first needle was slightly bent in the process, and I think on the upswing it was rubbing against the hook itself, or just past the hook, and breaking the thread. I truly was staring at it for hours before Iceblossom's needle replacement idea hit me, and then it worked, after I had sufficiently adjusted the hook system. What I think I learned, in part, was that the tolerances for the needle by the hook are fairly tight, and even a slight bend or twist in something is enough to impede the stitch.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:22 PM

This has been very interesting conversation about the value of a good, straight needle.

When I first bought my combo (embroidery/sewing) machine, I was advised to buy Titanium needles for doing embroidery. Best advice I ever got. They just don't get dull. Forget that bit about changing every 8 hours. I wait until I hear the pop. But...it doesn't save me when the needle accidently hits either my sewing foot or the single needle plate I forgot to change out. That's about the only time I have to change the needle. Most of the time, it doesn't bend it, it pops the end off. You'd think I would learn after all this time.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:26 AM

Default replacing needles

I never replaced needles until IceBlossom's post, and in the last few weeks I've been replacing needles. What a difference in my featherweight, my 301 and my Spartan. We are always told that, but I never did it. This time I realized the needle in my featherweight was slightly bent from sewing on some felted wool and it had pulled the needle slightly. Replaced the needle, now sewing like a dream again.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:43 AM

I tend to hone my used needles if they are still straight when they become blunt. This comes from being taught by my Granny back in the days when it was frowned upon throwing something away if it could be fixed (a mentality I've apparently carried throughout my life lol). The needle in my daily 15-91 has been in the machine since the start of covid lock-down and been re-honed many a times now but not replaced yet.
I will put a brand new needle in when i buy a old machine that needs servicing.