Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Runs backward but not forward?

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I don't know but if you turned Wilbur, my 3 year old grandson loose I bet anything could happen.
    That might explain this one:

Name:  IMG_5244.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  100.0 KB

Closer up:

Name:  IMG_5245.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  92.1 KB

That machine landed on my desk as a "Doesn't run"

I pulled 8 buttons, and a needle pack with dental impressions from a dog (I think), plus the usual pins and needle shards.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Just remember folks, most of us get our machines because of these "dunces" who buy new ones. Wouldn't it be horrible if they one day woke up and all realized that these things are worth keeping... where would we be?
    The scary part is when they want to keep the machines, but ruin them every 3 weeks. Had an embroidery machine (the home sewing machine pretending to be an embroidery machine ones) hit my desk in February for that timing issue I mentioned above. Earlier this month she called again to say the timing seems off again. *face palm*

Blog Entries
    I had one just last week - machine looked good but the tension would not adjust. I looked closer - it looked a little bent. I took it apart - took some doing... That pin was VERY bent. Funny but it did sew. Must have though by golly it works so I'm going to get it welded if just smacking doesn't work. I pulled the tension pin out of a T&S and got it working just fine. Real nice little machine.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Well I had this very same problem with an old Viking sewing machine, What it was after my DH looked at it was..the grease you put on the gears had turned to cement. He very carefully went around the gears and removed the hard old grease and viola it worked like a dream and I still use this machine. It takes a lot of time to do this and that's why the repairman said it wasn't worth fixing. Just my experience.
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

QM
    I agree with the cleaning suggestion. Until very recently, my fav repairman was an old guy who was retired from working for singer, but for a number of years worked out of his home. If you ask around, there may be someone like that who will tackle your baby and who really knows what he/she is doing.

Blog Entries
    I hope I learn what I am doing.... maybe some day...

Blog Entries
    wow, some great suggestions...Beautiful machine. Keep it and if you can't figure it out find a REAL sewing machine mechanic!
    Just passing through!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abdconsultant View Post
    wow, some great suggestions...Beautiful machine. Keep it and if you can't figure it out find a REAL sewing machine mechanic!
    Good luck with that one...

Blog Entries
    I agree that it may be set in step #3 of 4 step buttonholes. Do you have an instruction book so you can pretend to make a buttonhole? This happened with the Elna once. My daughter didn't finish up a buttonhole and when I started to sew, the machine ran backwards in ZZ. Took me a few panicky minutes to figure that one out.

My favorite repairman is working part time at the LQS. Every time I see he's there, I wonder if the Elna needs anything - she doesn't, but it's good to know he's around again. He had the Singer store for a while. I should have look at this T&S before I start dismantling it.

Blog Entries
    As far as repair people go - we all started out at the same place - experience will teach a lot. When a person quits learning or thinks they have arrived they better watch out.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    The first thing I'd do is lay the machine on its back and pour Koil gun cleaner around that reverse knob. Let it soak for a while and then wiggle and jiggle the area, both inside and out.
    I'm with Irish Rose on this one. To me, that reverse button - which I assume is the round button - looks stuck. I worked on a Morse like that. The Kroil should free it. You may have to get it via mail. And yes, the spring could be broke.

Everyone has good ideas. Nice machine! Worth fixing, in my opinion.

I'm in Oklahoma City and our local auto parts store carries the Kroil oil. Good luck in getting your "beauty" working again.

I have a similar problem that has to do with the feed dogs, but that I was able to trace back to the reverse button. I'm trying to resurrect an old machine and the reverse button was completely gummed up. Yours looks much newer and nicer than mine, but it has the same reverse button, so I'm guessing the internals may be similar. I took off the end and the top and shot all the joints and levers liberally with PB Blaster as recommended above and the button eventually freed up. There are a lot of levers, cams, gears and springs that come into play to make it run in reverse. From what little I know, if they get balky and gummed up, the old oil and grease need to be dissolved to get things back on track. I posted as Universal Model 5510, if you're interested.
    Last edited by Noel; 03-23-2013 at 11:02 AM.

The first thing I would do is to find a new repairman. If he didn't appreciate the machine for what it is, I would want him to touch it! I have a Morse that I love, as well!

following this thread, I'm anxious to see how it all plays out - it's such a pretty sewing machine - one I would definitely try to salvage! Get yourself to a real sewing machine repair shop. That man did you a major injustice by telling you it was not worth fixing! The nerve!! Please let us know what happens!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    As far as repair people go - we all started out at the same place - experience will teach a lot. When a person quits learning or thinks they have arrived they better watch out.
    You got that right, our goal is to continue to learn all we can, If you think you have arrived you have lost
    Glenn W. Cleveland

In my life I'd had so called repairmen tell me a number of times that what I wanted fixed was not worth fixing. In every case they lost any future business I might have given them, and I got PO'd and fixed the thing myself. Phooey on 'em.

Joe

If no one has answered you yet...check the lever next to the bobbin winder. One of the positions causes the machine to to run in reverse. (I am playing with mine and found this)

In my experience, people who work on machines prefer to work on the ones they are familiar with.

If they work on vintage machines they often will automatically say a plastic one "probably has a broken gear, don't bother trying to fix it." And if they usually work on electronic machines they "don't want to mess with those old ones".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gretchen_FL View Post
    If no one has answered you yet...check the lever next to the bobbin winder. One of the positions causes the machine to to run in reverse. (I am playing with mine and found this)
    I'm trying to wrap my brain around that - have you got a picture of the lever?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2