Rwire a FW

Old 05-01-2016, 04:57 PM

Default Rwire a FW

So my 1948 FW (Violet, my avatar) started having the light flicker and then stopped sewing. I opened the bottom and inspecting the wiring going into the block. On the center wire, about 1 inch from the block, I noticed a fray and touching, it feels like the wire is broken inside the cloth covering. I speculate that maybe it got over-bent being put back into the machine after it's repaint and stressed the wire to breaking (before I got it 5 years ago). Anyway, it a complete rewire in order? and can I find a tutorial to do that? And the appropriate wire to use? In the meantime Violet can't sew
Old 05-01-2016, 05:23 PM

Likely, they insulation on most pre 1950s machines I've seen have been in very bad shape, once you start you replace it all, standard two core copper wires are fine (not the cheapest flimsiest, the slighly more solid ones for regular lamps and appliances). You can track down new reproduction cloth covered cables if you want too, it looks nice.

The old cloth covered wires were once subtle and flexible, often the inner rubber insulation around the wires have turned hard and start to cruble away. There is a very good blog tutorial on how to rewired the 201, I haven't seen anything similar for the 221. However, with a bit of read up you should be able to get a full over view of everything involved, wiring diagram etc. The 221 adjusters manual is the best I know for the Featherweight.

Last edited by Mickey2; 05-01-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:32 AM

Thanks Mickey, 221 for the adjusters manual. The light on one of my FW's doesn't work, and I don't want to try and sew on it. Now I can get DH to rewire it.

Last edited by Gerbie; 05-03-2016 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:18 AM

I re wired my 221 using cable bought from the local electrical supply shop. There is a really good tutorial on the net it might even be on YouTube. I no longer have a note of it but I found it on google. Hope that helps.