Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Saved a machine - thanks to this board!! >

Saved a machine - thanks to this board!!

Saved a machine - thanks to this board!!

Old 07-19-2015, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post

Is that a model 1316, 5 built-in stitches, 1 amp., all metal machine that you have resuscitated? I hope the new owner will appreciate what they are getting. These are perfect for passing on to someone who really wants to sew. Good for you!
I am so glad you asked!! Yes, it is a 13160 model. I am "Kenmore Gal" and generally I understand how Kenmores work but I can't figure how to access the built in stitches. I can see there are no cams. There was no manual and I didn't find one online for free (didn't search too hard though). Can you enlighten me on these built in stitches? Where the heck are they hiding?

I'm thinking now if I can print a free manual, that would be a good thing to give with the machine. And if no such duck is around, I should at least type up some vague instructions.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:46 AM

How about the silver knob next to the blue thread?
Old 07-19-2015, 04:07 AM

I took some pics of the knobs but they came out blurry. Ugh. I'll do it again soon.

Here's one of the top, it has a dial with 3 positions. That's the silver knob which 19cats referred to.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]525519[/ATTACH]
Then there are 2 knobs on the front. The top knob has a red rectangle and the numbers for the stitch lengths. The bottom knob has an "S" for straight stitch and the widths (1-4) for zig zag.

I wondered what the button next to the power switch was for - probably reverse. I'll have to bring the machine back from the garage and play again later today. That's when I'll take more pics of the knobs if necessary.

So....where are the fancy stitches hiding?
Attached Thumbnails top.jpg  
Old 07-19-2015, 07:10 AM

I do not have a manual for that exact model, but do have one in that series that explains the top dial. In your pictures, it looks like the special stitches dial on top of the machines is set for a blind stitch. I don't think of any of these stitches as fancy, just basic utility.

Yes, the push-button on the bed is the reverse. There are several videos online by a seller and also some reviews of this machine. To find them, google "Kenmore 1316 sewing machine review". One complaint I've read was about the foot pedal - machine starting slow and racing too fast until the pedal was replaced with an electronic one. On the original pedals where that big, stiff spring is under the part you press on with your foot, I find it helps to use my finger to put a bit smear of vaseline on the coils of that external spring. If you can't get your finger in there, use a long screw driver with a wide blade to smear it good. One of my favorite tools is a double ended sculpting tool picked up in a thrift store. My husband is the resident electrician, so I always have him take apart the foot pedals and check the electrical parts.

I have given away two similar machines within the 4-H community. One I gave with a manual and the other with a copy that was similar. This machine is similar to the 1320 and much of the manual works for the 1316. My admiration for the Kenmore machines is based on their durability. My biggest complaint is that they are not intuitive.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:02 AM

the top knob looks like it has a darning pattern, straight and blind stitch.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:30 AM

Thanks elnan and foufymaus. I don't see a ton of fancy stitches either. One day soon I'll watch the videos and see if there is more to this machine than I see.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:16 AM

I watched the video. This machine only has 5 stitches.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:51 PM

What fun great job.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:39 PM

I still am working on my 158 .9411 and don't want to give up . but, can not get that machine to move to the left for any stitches. Straight stitches fine but not doing any zig zag which I really need. I too will keep the tri flow --flowing into it. Talked to one repair person about it and waiting for one man to come off holidays then I will take machine to him as I find nothing seems broken --must be seized !!!!

so good you got it working and others can help with manual.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

Nice job! I too have learned a bunch from the helpful folks on this board and it is a great feeling to get a machine running again.