Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Saw a Featherweight in use in person for the first time today... >

Saw a Featherweight in use in person for the first time today...

Saw a Featherweight in use in person for the first time today...

Old 04-16-2024, 09:14 AM

Don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but I may be getting one for the cost of shipping! A friend has one she wants to give me. But she will need someone to help her get it to the post office, she doesn't drive. She is about 1000 miles away.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:01 PM

I love my little FW for traveling. It gets used occasionally at home but mostly on the road. When I got my first one it was on ShopGoodwill.com and Ebay. There were a few of them. I put a bit on several since it seemed I was getting out bid constantly. (And since it was my first time one those websites I had no idea what I was doing.). I ended up getting 3 of them - only one needed a new foot pedal. The other 2 were in good working order and all were between $180 - $300.00. I tried rotating using them, because they do better if they are used on a regular basis. So I ended up giving one to my sister and one to my niece. My sister takes classes and goes to a quilt gathering weekly. My niece has 2 kids and clothes need mending and her daughter wants to learn to sew for herself. I was lucky they each had their books and their attachments and their case.
Old 04-20-2024, 02:58 AM

I love mine for piecing. Because the feed dogs are not as wide as modern machines, it is easier to keep a consistent quarter inch seam. I have been gifted 2 of them. One by a friend because she'd had it for several years and didn't use it. She gave it to me, so I made her a quilt. The second came from a relative in exchange for me longarming a vintage quilt made by her grandmother. I gave the second to my daughter.
Old 04-20-2024, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
You can adjust your stitch length from tiny to a basting stitch.
My comment was poorly written.

It wasn't the stitch length that was really tiny, it's the machine itself. Which, of course, makes it easy to transport - but doesn't give much room for maneuvering fabric. The bed is extremely small.
Old 04-20-2024, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
My comment was poorly written.

It wasn't the stitch length that was really tiny, it's the machine itself. Which, of course, makes it easy to transport - but doesn't give much room for maneuvering fabric. The bed is extremely small.
Oh, I only piece on my FWs. I bought them to take to quilting bees and classes. I don't do anything large on them except sewing on bindings and sewing blocks together. I have made 12 1/2 inch blocks on them with no problem. I don't do the large portions of my projects at bees anyway.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 04-20-2024 at 06:28 AM.
Old Today, 10:01 AM

Default Featherweights

I bought a featherweight a few years ago, and haven used it much except for classes and group sessions. A friend helped me to find a walking foot for it, which was great.
But recently I have started teaching myself free motion quilting, and after a bit of searching, found a way to do it on this machine. Very exciting as I’m planning a weeks holiday with a quilting friend, and we have a project in mind. I’ve just taken it in to be serviced ready.