Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Sewing on featherweight help needed >

Sewing on featherweight help needed

Sewing on featherweight help needed

Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
xstitchmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 6
Default

I was sewing merrily along when I ran out of bobbin thread. After rewinding and putting in the rewound bobbin, I started sewing again. Fabric moved along w/o a problem. However, there were no stitches, only tiny little holes where the thread should've been. Perhaps I put in the bobbin the wrong way? Took it out and inserted it the other way and started sewing again. Still no stitches, just tiny holes. I didn't touch the threading on the machine since I used the Sidewinder. I was on a roll and now this has to happen! Any help would be appreciated!
xstitchmaniac is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 12:22 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
donnajean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland, PA
Posts: 4,157
Default

Usually rethreading fixes everything. Have you cleaned out your bobbin case area to remove lint?
donnajean is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 12:26 PM
  #3  
Power Poster
 
BellaBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Front row
Posts: 14,648
Default

The bobbin housing has to be in exactly the right place. You may have bumped it. I doubt it would move that easy but you never know. There is a notch where the case has to fit in right underneath the needle. And be sure the bobbin thread is pulled to the right outlet on the bobbin. Sometimes my bobbin thread will come out of the slot. This happened on a Featherweight at guild too, we all tried different things with it and it was the needle was backwards. Remember everything on a Featherwieght goes to the left. The flat of the needle to to the left, and threading the needle goes right to left.
BellaBoo is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 12:28 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
hobo2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boonsboro, MD
Posts: 2,670
Default

Make sure the thread is going away from the little hole you pull it thru. Then you pull it back thru the slot into the hole, leave about 3 inches hanging and put it back in, use the wheel to turn the needle a couple of times to catch the thread before you put your fabric in and run. This should make it sew, if not clean the entire bobbin case good and try again.
hobo2000 is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 02:26 PM
  #5  
Super Member
 
KatFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,062
Default

Did you push it in far enough to hear a small click. Can't say how many times I thought I had the bobbin in and it would not sew. Just take it out and re insert it and it should work. One thing I have noticed is that my feather weight does not like the new bobbins.
KatFish is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 06:47 PM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
xstitchmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 6
Default

Thanks, everyone!

Finally figured out the problem. I neglected to mention that I open the throat plate to clean out the lint and did not make sure that the bobbin "finger" was in the notch of the throat plate when screwing it back on.

Learning something new everyday.
xstitchmaniac is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 07:41 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: montana
Posts: 620
Default

Aha ! if you would have mentioned cleaning the lint first, a bunch of us would have guessed the "finger" not in the slot.
Expensive lesson for many--still amazed that a repair guy would charge to fix such a "mistake "!!
smitty is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 09:59 PM
  #8  
Google Goddess
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Indiana (USA)
Posts: 30,181
Default

glad you got it fixed
craftybear is offline  
Old 08-02-2010, 05:57 AM
  #9  
Super Member
 
KatFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,062
Default

Originally Posted by xstitchmaniac
Thanks, everyone!

Finally figured out the problem. I neglected to mention that I open the throat plate to clean out the lint and did not make sure that the bobbin "finger" was in the notch of the throat plate when screwing it back on.

Learning something new everyday.
I did that too. I finally got DH to look at it because after two days I was not having any luck. He looked at the picture in the manuel, and figured it out. Boy did I feel dumb.
KatFish is offline  
Old 08-02-2010, 01:05 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
hulahoop1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 430
Default

Originally Posted by KatFish
Originally Posted by xstitchmaniac
Thanks, everyone!

Finally figured out the problem. I neglected to mention that I open the throat plate to clean out the lint and did not make sure that the bobbin "finger" was in the notch of the throat plate when screwing it back on.

Learning something new everyday.
I did that too. I finally got DH to look at it because after two days I was not having any luck. He looked at the picture in the manuel, and figured it out. Boy did I feel dumb.
My aunt's machine sat idle for nearly six months with this same problem. She HATES to read instructions so didn't get out the manual. Had to send her a picture. Geez!
hulahoop1 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Wanabee Quiltin
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
9
12-30-2013 12:20 PM
Ellietow
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
3
09-08-2013 07:23 AM
ljfox
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
8
07-19-2012 11:55 AM
Cheshirecatquilter
Main
3
03-07-2011 08:22 PM
PurplePassion
Main
6
11-26-2010 12:36 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.