Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Which sewing machine was this cabinet for? >

Which sewing machine was this cabinet for?

Which sewing machine was this cabinet for?

Old 10-08-2013, 05:52 PM

I am going to guess European, as that just does not look like American furniture design.

Several have suggested Pfeffer... I'd believe that. Or Husq?

Or that a European-American hand built it here, to fit whatever machine he/she/they had here. But with Euro woodworking design.

Let us know how it unfolds! So to speak. Are there any stamps on it?
Old 10-08-2013, 06:00 PM

Just the date. Went over it with a fine tooth comb and nada. I have a Pfaff cabinet and two Pfaffs. The Pfaff in the cabinet is clearly marked Pfaff in one of the drawers. Also this cabinet does not fit the Pfaff brackets, but it does appear to fit the Singer. I should know tomorrow. If it fits I will post a pic in this thread.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:19 PM

Necchi. Your singer will fit, but the posts on the brackets will be a bit smaller than Singers, so you will have to make sure they are as tight as you can get them without stripping the grub screws. If you don't have the brackets let me know. I believe I have a set I will never use.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:31 AM

Very cool cabinet. It may not have been for a particular machine, but perhaps generic. You probably can get an insert made for your machine.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:23 AM

I have no-idea but would keep it just as a piece of '50's furniture. it is beautiful.

Last edited by quilter68; 10-09-2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: I do not know how to change my age but I am now 72!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:52 PM

Interesting that you say the Pfaff and Singer are different - as I put the Pfaff 130 in the cabinet I pulled the 401A out of. We did add the lift that the older Singers come with as the 401 does not have room for that. I have seen several different Pfaffs in cabinets with the pull out/hidden chair like that. Not just like this one - but in several different types. I think there may have been some cabinet makers that sold cabinet for machines - but not with machines them. Just like now, there are a lot of brand new cabinets out there that you can buy and put your own machine in.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Interesting that you say the Pfaff and Singer are different - as I put the Pfaff 130 in the cabinet I pulled the 401A out of. We did add the lift that the older Singers come with as the 401 does not have room for that. I have seen several different Pfaffs in cabinets with the pull out/hidden chair like that. Not just like this one - but in several different types. I think there may have been some cabinet makers that sold cabinet for machines - but not with machines them. My vintage cabinet has a neat label from a Pfaff dealer way back when in Tennessee and apparently was sold with a machine in it. Just like now, there are a lot of brand new cabinets out there that you can buy and put your own machine in.

I have only been doing this a very short while and I am only using the knowledge I have from the machines I have worked with so far. Here is a picture of the Pfaff label in the cabinet that one of my Pfaffs came in. Also included are photos of the hinges on that cabinet, Both of my vintage Pfaffs have these type of hinges. I have only seen the round single screw hole hinges for Singers so far but I am a newbie still and learning.

The Singer 306W fit the table nicely by the way, with round hinges that matched the cabinet in my first post.
Attached Thumbnails img_4900.jpg   img_4901.jpg   img_4902.jpg  

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 10-09-2013 at 02:37 PM.