Sewing Machine

Old 04-18-2020, 02:14 PM

Default Sewing Machine

I have a Kenmore Sensor Sew 70 Model 385. The machine sews in reverse. Does anyone have any idea how I would fix this?
Old 04-18-2020, 02:21 PM

Sounds like a job for a technician and a new part imo. Welcome to QB by the way.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:42 AM

Welcome to the board. Machines with computers can do all sorts of weirdness. That why many on this particular forum prefer to work with stuff before palsic and "putters.If your Kenmore was from the 1950s or earlier we'd be jumping on this. Is there a rset button hiding somewhere on your machine?
Old 04-19-2020, 07:12 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! I was just looking at the YouTube video of your machine. I hope parts are available for your machine. Have you tried any of the decorative stitches to see if they sew backwards? I am just curious if you can do all the functions of the machine backwards. I don't believe it will be a total loss if it can only go backwards. I use to use a treadle backwards when I was a kid. Just a thought on how to salvage your machine if a part is not available. Hopefully it is an easy fix for a repair person.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:49 AM

Unplug the machine, place the machine on a counter on top of a towel. Clean everything you can access.
Turn the machine on its side and take off the bottom. Clean all the lint.Check the reverse button area. Is there lint? Put a stocking over a vacuum cleaner and clean....Don't forget your pedal. Sometimes lint in the pedal can cause electrical issues with your machine. To check this, borrow a pedal from a friend or dealer to see if that is the problem. Plug your machine into a surge protector and check to see if it is still going in reverse. Make sure you have the plug plugged in correctly. It sounds like reverse polarized plug. I know these ideas are diverse and many different suggestions, hopefully, one of these "checks" will work.
Best wishes in your quest for a fix.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vnuss02 View Post
I have a Kenmore Sensor Sew 70 Model 385. The machine sews in reverse. Does anyone have any idea how I would fix this?
Unfortunately, that machine has a computer board. Like Leon says "Machines with computers can do all sorts of weirdness." Mechanical machines, particularly all metal ones, are different as usually it is a matter of cleaning, oiling and sometimes a whole lot of patience. I have the Necchi Logica, which is similar. I had gotten a manual for the Sensor Sew and while some of the controls were similar, I ended up getting a Logica manual so that I could figure out the controls. I found a couple of different manuals for the Sensor Sew 70. One is https://c.searspartsdirect.com/mmh/p...M/L0801724.pdf and the other is https://www.manualslib.com/manual/50...ore-19502.html (I think they are the same thing.)

It looks like there are two buttons near the bottom of the panel. One is for Reverse and the other for Auto-Lock which would do reverse stitches. You might press one or both a few times and see if it changes anything. Also, if you change the stitch length, does it actually do that? Have you tried some of the other decorative stitches? I'm guessing that you have tried turning it off and back on again?

For the Necchi Logica machines the difference is a speed setting or a needle up/down setting. I'm not positive of the differences in the Sensor Sews are, but they were built for Sears by Necchi.

There is a thread about the Sensor Sew 100 at Warning: Not Vintage, but the Weird Machine has arrived. I was thinking he did another one about the 100 but couldn't find it.

Good luck.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 04-26-2020, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
For the Necchi Logica machines the difference is a speed setting or a needle up/down setting. I'm not positive of the differences in the Sensor Sews are, but they were built for Sears by Necchi.
Do I read this correctly? Does the Necchi Logica have the dearly beloved and greatly desired needle up/ down button? Or is it the Sensor Sew?
Old 04-27-2020, 05:54 AM

I was thinking the Sensor Sew made by Necchi came in two versions. Upon further research, I believe the Sensor Sew 70 and a different Sensor Sew 100 were actually made by Janome. I found a picture of these at http://thinmansewing.blogspot.com/20...hi-logica.html The Sensor Sew 100's made by Necchi, that I have seen, have separate speed control and power switch on the slanted pillar.

The Necchi Logica came in two versions - 591 and 592. The 591 is like the Sensor Sew 100. The 592 has a speed control and a needle up/down on the pillar. The power switch for the 592 is part of the speed switch.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-27-2020 at 05:58 AM. Reason: clarification