Sewing machines that use cams

Old 10-28-2013, 12:11 PM

Default Sewing machines that use cams

I am intrigued with these machines. I have the Necchi BU Mira that has the "wonder wheel" and the Singer 306W where the cams go on the outside and the others are pretty normal drop into the top cams.

Are there any other machines that use cams in a unique or unusual way? Or any machines that are just fun to sew with because the cams work so well on it or it has unusual stitch pattern cams etc?

Thank you for any help.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:52 PM

I have two Cresta T132's - one was bought new for me in 1969 and the other I bought off ebay this year so I would have spare parts - but after having it serviced it also sews!

I just love the machine - it was made by Lada and here is a link to a blog showing the machine - exactly the same as mine, plus case, except mine has a printed decal saying Cresta instead of the Lada name. http://createdbyhannah.blogspot.co.u...g-machine.html

I think it is a very pretty machine, and I love using it - it sews through anything and I will never part with it. I did think of giving the second one to my granddaughter but have decided not to just in case I need those spare parts!

The machines came with 3 little boxes of cams - about 6 or so in each I think - haven't got the machine handy at the mo. You lift the flap at top middle of machine, unscrew a holding screw and replace cams as needed. The straight stitch cam needs to be on if you want to do straight stitch, but you don't need cams to just do zig-zag.

Let me know if your interested in any other detail. I only joined this forum today so have not learned how to post pictures just yet - but happy too when I find out how!

I have been thinking about trying out some of the Elna cams on the machine to see if they would work. I have also caught some of a thread on my Elna forum where someone is printing the cams on a 3D printer and using them in the Elna machines - so another possible option if anyone needs some!

Anneg

Last edited by anneg; 10-28-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:37 PM

WELCOME to the Board and thank you for the great reply. I am still a newbie too. But this is a great place to learn and share.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 PM

Hannah I just checked out your machine and that is way cool! Where is it made and what year was it made do you know?
Old 10-29-2013, 02:23 AM

First the blog is not mine as I'm not Hannah:0) - as I said above, mine is exactly the same (same in everything including colour and case) except that mine is badged Cresta not Lada- they were made in Czechosolvakia I believe - you will find info for Lada on the web.

As I said I got mine new in 1969 ready to do my A-level Needlework course. They were sold via mail order - a guy came round and demonstrated it, so it was new on the market then - before that we only had the Singer 28 manual machine.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:37 AM

That is VERY cool. I would be afraid of all that plastic....it must be about ready to crack after all these years.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

I used to have a Singer Touch and Sew that had cams.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:10 AM

What plastic? The machine is totally all metal, inside and out - well apart from the knob on the stitch length regulator that your supposed to twirl to lock it at the stitch length you want. The bobbins are metal and it is a front loading bobbin - I always think they stitch better than the top loading ones you get a lot today. Even the original light bulb is still working - and the duplicate one I got off ebay for spare parts is exactly the same and all working beautifully.

The cams are some sort of plastic I think - but it is not hard plastic, a bit bendable and they work brilliantly. The only hard plastic thing that has got cracks is the top of the accessory box that sits along side the free arm when it's in it's case - the same thing has happened to the one I got off ebay.

Once I figure out how to post phots I will post them.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:23 AM

My mother bought a New Home before I started school (a lot of years ago - we'll leave it at that). I has the cams that you drop in the top to make decorative stitches.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:26 AM

I have a Montgomery Ward Signature sewing machine that uses cams. It was my birthday present from my parents one year. I checked e-Bay a while back,it was selling for over $300. I have all the accessories that came with the machine.About 10 years later, my Dad and I went to an auction in town, and there were the sewing machine desks that I had used in Home Ec. I bought one for $10 and my Montgomery Ward fits into it perfectly. The sewng machine sits at the same height as the desk,so it's a lovely flat surface to sew with. I got a great deal on that sewing desk.