Sewing Maching refurb

Old 12-30-2016, 05:48 AM

For cleaning the machine the safest is plain sewing machine oil. With a bit of effort and swirly movements (microfiber cloths or cotton balls) it will lift up dirt and grime. Oil is what they use to smooth out the surface as they finish off the shellac polishing (that's the lacquer they had back then). Shellac is used on both the machine head and the wood finish. It's not expensive, it's usually bought as flakes you dissolve in alcohol. It's a bit different that modern paints and transparent lacquers, so it's best to read up on how it's done before you jump into it.

For cleaning very dirty machines you can use microfiber cloths wringed up in mild soapy water. I start off with the mildest approach forst and then sort to the more heavy stuff as needed. As a last finish you can polish the machine with resin type car polish. If you have discolorations or stubborn grime the first cleaning is a bit more work, later you would just wipe of with a dry soft cloth, maybe now and then polish with a smooth non-gritty resin polish. Sugar soap is on the harsh side, if you need something extra try a mild natural soap or dish washer liquid first. Shellac is a strong and durable finish, but needs to be treated gently when it comes to soap and water.

For the veneer; a steam iron will make the wood more flexible again, not as brittle and will allow for it to be pressed flat back on the the base. Take a thin tea towel, or pice of light cotton fabric, lay it on top of the wood and gradually humidify the wood using heat and steam. You really don't want things too damp before you apply gule and clamps. It's a durable repair, making the cabinet stands up to regular use again.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:32 PM

Thank you
I will give that ago.
Hopefully in the next few days. I will post more pictures once I have done it
Old 01-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Banned

I would never, ever, use a wet rag on an old black machine, even well wrung out, but to each his own.
You run the risk of clouding the finish at the least, and destroying the decals at the worst.

Cari
Old 01-02-2017, 07:49 AM

Kelda, applause for your efforts. I have my grandmother's exact same machine - except she bought it new in a smallish Wisconsin, USA Singer Sewing shop. I learned to set the tensions and clean and oil and lubricate the machine when I was about 6. (Gram was no hand with tensions at all.) Even helped Gramp install a new treadle cord and the staple that joins the ends. I have sewn from then on. That machine and its associations have a powerful effect on me. Watch it. Like mine, there may be something magical about your machine and you too will be enchanted.

Anyway, Gram's machine is set up in my sewing room and when we lose power the two of us sew. Worried yet? 😊

Again, the clapping you hear comes from Florida. And me.

A.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:17 AM

Thank you, I can aprechate what you guys are all saying about how to clean it. Thing is, it was not looked after. It is very thick with nicotine, and has lots of dog and cat fur stuck in everything. I don't know if I have seen dust bunnies that big. I think they might be more of a dust T-rex. I am trying to be really gental with it so far, not getting far, dirt is coming off but it is still very dirty.

Thank you again for the advice.

If you know of anyone in the uk who is looking for one of these lovely machines you can let them know I would be happy to part with this one if they are going to use it.

Thank you
Old 01-07-2017, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Is it nicotine or bad shellac? I am always amazed at how well these old machines clean up. If you sew at all, it is likely to be the best machine you have ever owned.