Sewing problem

Old 07-30-2013, 03:23 PM
KEN

Default Sewing problem

i have a 1942 singer.it will sew for about 2 inches then it stops sewing the fabric.i'm new to sewing but i'm good at machanical things like cars,guns,motorcycles and yada yada yada,but to me it acts like it's not picking up the bobbin thread.i'm no sewing machine machanic ( yet ).can someone tell me whats wrong and how to fix it? i would like to use this machine.it was my motherinlaws and she past away about 4 years ago.she had a sewing room.this machine and some others where in there.one is a domestic treadle,a kenmore,a singer zig zag.a bradford and a dressmaster.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:26 PM

Well, I can't help you one iota, but I want to welcome you to this wonderful board. Someone will come on here with much information. Just hang on a while until they get your message.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:42 PM

If the motor is still running and the needle is still going up and down but not picking up bobbin thread ... the problem could be one of several things:

Needle is old/worn - or inserted wrong direction (suspect direction is OK as it did pick up some stitches)
Threaded incorrectly - top or bottom
Poorly wound bobbin
Tension - top or bottom
Mechanical issue with the bobbin

You didn't mention the model of the machine. If known, you can do a google search for a manual for the machine and use the manual to make sure the machine is threaded properly. When un-threading and re-threading a machine - always lift the presser foot. Never thread or un-thread with the presser foot down. The manual will also tell you how to insert the needle, and how to insert the bobbin and thread it correctly.

I would attack the problem in the order listed above ... with the needle, then check threading ... etc.

When you check to see if the machine is threaded correctly, don't just look at the way it is threaded ... completely un-thread the machine (presser foot up) and re-thread. Ditto for the bobbin.

If the needle is good, threaded correctly, bobbin is good and tension is correct ... the bobbin may be the culprit. You might even have the wrong bobbin in the machine ... which come to think of it is entirely possible. Remember that manual ... check it to make sure you have the right bobbin. A lot of the old vintage machines that are rescued from Grandma's attic come with a host of correct and incorrect bobbins in the drawers. You may have snagged the wrong bobbin.

If you don't know the model number of the machine, give us the serial number (for most Singer's the SN is on a brass oval shaped plate on the bed of the machine at the front of the pilar), and we can tell you the model and send you in the right direction for the manual. Or post a picture of the machine ... we can identify that way most of the time.

Also ... if you happened to find a manual in the cabinet with the machine ... we've seen numerous "rescue's" where the manual found with machine is NOT the manual FOR the machine.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:43 PM
KEN

i found a manual for a model 99.it is somewhat like mine.i think it mite be a tension problem.becuase my thread lays on the top and the bottom instead of going into the fabric.am i right or wrong? or is it something else? this looks like a great forum.i think i might learn how to sew and make it a new hobby.my wife just saw me type that and said oh no,another hobby
Old 07-30-2013, 03:47 PM

LOL for the wife's commit.. If you can get the # off the machine you can look it up on the net.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:47 PM
KEN

Serial #ag400973
Old 07-30-2013, 03:48 PM

Ken,

Welcome to the QB.

Without knowing what model you have I'll make some generic suggestions.

First, remove the needle plate, slide plate, face plate and clean it thoroughly. Clean the under side as well, lint can hang a machine up horribly and will really mess with the ability of the thread to pass through where it needs to go.
Check for stray thread. You'd be amazed at where thread can get to.
Oil everything that moves with sewing machine oil or my favorite Tri-Flow oil.

Second, check that the motor belt ( if it has one ) is not rotted, cracked or too tight. It should be just tight enough to turn the machine without slipping. When it's like that it will look like it's loose.

Third, ( probably should have been first ) to to Singer { http://www.singerco.com/accessories/instruction-manuals }, type in your model number and download a manual. Most of the machine will have free downloadable manuals.
If you don't know your model number go to ISMACS { http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...-database.html } look up the serial number and then go to Singer.

It would help us ID the machine if you'd post some pics of it. We are really a visually stimulated lot.

Joe
Old 07-30-2013, 03:52 PM

Ken,

AG 400973 is a Model 99. One of 10,000 allotted April 1, 1942.

It uses Class 66 bobbins. NOTE: Do not by the cheap junk ones from the big box fabric stores. Go to Sew-Classic and but the good ones she sells. No need to add headaches to what you already have.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 07-30-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:10 PM
KEN

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
LOL for the wife's commit.. If you can get the # off the machine you can look it up on the net.
ya,maybe this hobby wont cost alot.haha.drag racing,shooting gun compitions,restoring old motorcycles and all the other hobbies a do cost alot.who knows maybe i can make some stuff and make money!.i would like to make stuff for animals,like dog and cat beds,bandannas,coats and stuf like that.i'm a fast learner.i would like to restore the dressmaster machine i have.it looks like it was in some place with alot of moisture.
the needle i'm useing is a 80/11

Last edited by KEN; 07-30-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:41 PM

Didn't read all suggestions so far, but my guess if it sews for a couple inches and stops is that the needle thread is hanging up somewhere. I'm always amazed how little hangups prior to the tensioner can stop dead a normally powerful machine. Even felt disks under thread spool is minor help relieving undue tension. Assure, firstly the thread is unimpeded prior to the tensioner.

Sewing machines are really not as complicated as one might think. The logic is so simple. The needle thread ends up looped around the bobbin thread, hopefully in the mid-point of the fabric. The idea is to get the threads to that point. Now, to get to that point there are many variables - needle orientation, bobbin race timing, fabric movement, etc. Being mechanically inclined you will look back after diagnosing and correcting the problem with awe at how simple it really is.

I just read your second post and realize you indicate "
becuase my thread lays on the top and the bottom instead of going into the fabric." That's obviously a tensioning problem. Match the bobbin and needle thread tensions and you've got it. That's easier said than done until you master the process. I put in opposite colored threads in bobbin as opposed to needle thread assuring they are same weight and make. Tighten each tension to medium and sew. If bobbin thread is observable from top of fabric, upper tension is too tight or bobbin tension is to loose. Or
vice-versa. If needle thread is observable on bottom, bobbin tension is too tight or upper tension is too loose. Rule of thumb is once bobbin thread is correct, most often adjusting the upper tension will correct the problem. Most often the bobbin tension is adjusted only when changing thread weights or make. Clear as distilled water, right?

Last edited by Vridar; 07-30-2013 at 05:01 PM.