Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: sewing sailors

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
    ... Husband looking through ... old military photos.

Thanks Mr & MrsBoats,

I suspect that most of the Riggers Lofts, Huts, Rooms, etc. had benches for their Singer 31-15 machines. Iím hoping to find out if they were commercial benches or built-in benches. Ships may have been built-in, but hangers? Iím not sure. If commercial, I hope they used common industrial benches from the period. I have a couple of them. Straight-leg metal stand with a slab wood surface. No Formica top and no folding extensions.

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Blog Entries
    My DH's dad was career Navy, made Chief, from WWII thru 1970. His DB is also career Navy Reserve, and just made Chief a few months ago. I will ask them if they know anything about this. The dad sewed at home after he retired from the Navy, so its possible DH and his DB know something.

Quote Originally Posted by qwkslver View Post
    My husband's uncle was in the navy. He made extra money fixing clothes, doing alterations, etc.
    My father-in-law said the guy with all the money was the one that had sewing skills...lol He was in WWII

I don't know what that machine is but look at all that room for FMQ!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post

Thanks Mr & MrsBoats,

I suspect that most of the Riggers Lofts, Huts, Rooms, etc. had benches for their Singer 31-15 machines. I’m hoping to find out if they were commercial benches or built-in benches. Ships may have been built-in, but hangers? I’m not sure. If commercial, I hope they used common industrial benches from the period. I have a couple of them. Straight-leg metal stand with a slab wood surface. No Formica top and no folding extensions.

CD in Oklahoma
    If all else fails maybe you can go to a military museum and talk to the curator. I once need to sew a WWII officer's wall tent. I went to the museum at Ft Knox, KY and asked the curator if he had any information. He had microfilm and he let me fool around with it as long as I wanted. I found what I wanted. Then I asked him how I could get the blue prints and he sent me to the library with the film and they printed it out for less than $1. They had blue prints for everything under the sun in there. Tons and tons of things.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2