Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
She's Home Now - a 28/38 - Is There Really a 38 ? >

She's Home Now - a 28/38 - Is There Really a 38 ?

She's Home Now - a 28/38 - Is There Really a 38 ?

Old 12-20-2013, 05:19 AM

He's got the box of the first type (where the hot comes into the knee control via those two holes) but the connection of the second type - where the hot plugs into the back of the machine.

My husband told me that if I wanted to use the second type plug on mine, I'd have to bypass the knee control all together - but maybe he just told me that so I wouldn't bug him to do it.

Either way - Vic has cut off cords so he's going to be doing some rewiring no matter what. Though it may be more cost effective to wire it to a regular foot control and skip trying to locate a knee bar.

BTW- I think a lot of these we modifided over the years to go with more modern wiring - and getting rid of the two male/female connectors that the setup originally used.

I'm still looking for a cord with the end that screws directly into the light socket for the sewing machine - before outlets were common.

Last edited by Macybaby; 12-20-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:02 AM

1909 is awful early for any kind of electrical set up and I'd expect to see something ancient looking if original. This might have went through the Singer shop.

Jon
Old 12-20-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
........I'm still looking for a cord with the end that screws directly into the light socket for the sewing machine - before outlets were common.
I've been keeping my eyes open for that type of vintage cord end for a while now. I want mine for an early electric motor I have for my wood working machines.
Rodney

*EDIT* I just noticed I'm now a senior member. I'm not that senior-I just talk a lot.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:47 PM

This machine was put into the box at a later date - it would not have come with that from the factory. Most likely it was a hand crank originally.

Why do people seem so surprised to think that a machine that has been around for over 100 years has been put in a different case, or adapted with a new motor or cord? And more often than not, the attachments that come with the machine aren't original to it either.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
Do you have an idea of what model 38 is ? I know what 28 & 128 is.
Hello Vmaniqui,
Somebody has done wrong with the machine, packing I just read 38 and other data and wrote the post.