Should I buy this?

Old 04-22-2020, 03:48 AM

Default Should I buy this?

A fiend wants to sell this to me and claims that it works perfectly. She lives a distance away, so I can't try it until I can drive there. How much do you think I should pay for it? If something goes wrong with it, would I be able to get parts for it? She can't find a manual for it either. I've always wanted one and I trust her when she says it works fine. Is the cabinet less valuable because it only has two drawers instead of three on each side? Any advice is welcome.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:56 AM

Might come in handy for a hurricane. I have a hand turn, just in case. At my end of the state, they are around $100.00. So whatever y'all determine is a good price, is a good price. They are heavy but fun to use.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:27 AM

Mine is identical to this. It is a great machine if it is working. The only parts I have had to replace are the belt and a needle here or there. As far as price goes. I picked this one up for only $25 dollars The one I have now I picked up at a garage sale. At today's prices I would say $100 would be fair.

Last edited by juliasb; 04-22-2020 at 04:32 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:28 AM

She is beautiful. You can get parts and a manual online.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by knitnnan View Post
... She can't find a manual for it either...
That is a Singer 66 with the officially called Scroll (red) decal set. It is commonly called "Red Head" but from my understanding the Singer employees nicknamed it "Red Eye."

I can't tell, for sure, if it is a back clamp or low shank presser foot machine. I also note that the bobbin cover slide plate is missing. It may be in the drawers. It is common to see these machines without them. It is kind of tricky to put it on. The instructions for replacing the slide plate can be found in the manual. The manual for the back clamp can be found at https://res.cloudinary.com/singer-se...duct/41_66.pdf and the one for low shank can be found at http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ine-manual.pdf

There are a couple of threads here on QB about these machines - Singer 66 Red Eyes had to come home and 66 treadle back clamp accessories Probably there are a bunch of others - but one has pictures of both the back clamp and low shank attachments.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 04-22-2020, 06:09 AM

The decals are in great condition. Usually, it is merely a matter of gently cleaning and greatly oiling anywhere metal meets metal in the mechanism. If it is a back clamp, accessory feet can be found, but are pricey.

Often sewing machine cabinets get used for (overwatered) plant stands, and the top of the cabinet ends up with watermarks, cracked, and lifting veneer.

If the top is in good condition, and the back of the head looks good, go for it. $80 is not out of line. A leather belt can be had for under $10, and their are many suitable alternatives, even cotton clothesline, or window screen spline.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:16 AM

Be careful. It is a gateway drug. hehe
Old 04-22-2020, 09:09 AM

My son paid $75 for my identical one. I really don't use it, but I love having it. Yes, you should buy it if you have room for it.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:25 AM

Thanks for the advice. My friend says she does have the bobbin cover plate, etc. This pic she sent is from when she bought it. I appreciate your assistance.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:28 AM

I have often read that the back clamp feet for the SInger 66 are expensive, but I wonder compared to what? There are feet for my Pfaff quilt expressions 4.2 that cost $20 or $30 dollars each plus shipping. I bought a complete set of back clamp feet for my red eye SInger for $32.00 on Ebay. They are in great condition.