Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Shouldn’t Have Passed On That One >

Shouldn’t Have Passed On That One

Shouldn’t Have Passed On That One

Old 03-16-2014, 09:22 AM

A pristine Singer 201 in the art deco cabinet with the dark finish for $50 (no stool). I had just started collecting and didn't know that a sluggish motor on a machine was no big deal. Yep, I still regret that because I haven't run across another cabinet like that since and I loved that cabinet. I have since bought a 201 but its decals are not in great condition like that first one I saw.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:03 PM

Don't even look when I have no money, and have no room either so had to quit for now.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:18 PM

Before I was really looking for other vintage machines I was looking for a FW (gateway drug, I tell you!). I stopped in to my local thrift store and, after not seeing anything but touch-n-throws, asked the woman working if they had any other sewing machines. She brought out this beautiful pink atlas with perfect paint and decals in a case that was beyond repair and told me I could have it if I wanted it. They couldn't sell it with the case like it was. It was destined for the dumpster. I knew less than nothing at the time and since it wasn't a FW, I passed...smh. Now I know better but the opportunity probably won't present itself ever again and all I can do is kick myself and move on.

Last edited by trivia42; 03-16-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

Been there, done that. Didn' t know any better at the time.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:09 PM

A National Two-Spool in very good condition, however I couldn't swing the $300 that the seller wanted. The cabinet needed work too.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:28 PM

I knew that I wasn’t the only one that had let something get away from me, either from not knowing what I was turning down, or because I “hemmed & hawed” over it too long.

Passing on something that is too costly happens rather frequently to me, but when I spy those bargains and then miss out on them (unknowingly or from non-action), it tends to haunt me for quite some time.

Usually, now that I’ve been collecting for a while, I bring home enough information about a machine that I’ve passed on, to be able to do some extended research on it later (photos, names, numbers, and such). That’s when I get that “Oh Man!” realization and the feeling that goes along with it that just makes me depressed. I question myself and my thought process (as in: “what were you thinking?”).

But, it helps arm me with information that if, by chance, which may never happen but, should I ever come across another one........

CD in Oklahoma
Old 03-16-2014, 03:13 PM

Well, I think I can honestly say I have more at home I wish I'd passed on, than the other way around.

That is not saying that if I didn't have twice as much room, I would not have bought a few more, or that there were some I missed - as they were already sold when I contacted the seller about them the first time.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Well, I think I can honestly say I have more at home I wish I'd passed on, than the other way around.

That is not saying that if I didn't have twice as much room, I would not have bought a few more, or that there were some I missed - as they were already sold when I contacted the seller about them the first time.
I'm thinking I could just say ditto...
Old 03-16-2014, 03:15 PM

I've sold a couple I wish a had kept - a green Singer 185 and a New Home Light Running 1880's era treadle. I also donated my cute and great running blue White 15 clone to my church (they sew quilts to give away.) I had no place for another treadle, and I was really trying to cut back on the machines. I kept my 99 with the knee bar over the 185. I really didn't need the white because I have a singer 15. Still, if I had the room, that treadle was real nice...
Old 03-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deplaylady View Post
I've sold a couple I wish a had kept
Ditto there, too.