Singer 1 button controller

Old 01-12-2018, 08:31 AM

Default Singer 1 button controller

The button on the controller on my 503 is very hard to push. I've read Archaicarcane's blog post on it. I've also watched several videos on taking them apart and cleaning the contacts and adjusting them. One completely disassembles the thing and cleans everything except the ceramic tube with degreaser.

I left the 503 (has a 3 wire plug similar to 600 series) at school, so I can't really test it. However, the measurements archaicarcane gives indicates my controller is is in adjustment. No one mentions any lubricant being used anywhere.

I'm going to take it apart and clean it and hopefully get it back to good adjustment without testing it.

Any suggestions as to how I make the button easier to push?

bkay
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1584a.jpg  
Old 01-12-2018, 11:16 AM

Clean and polish the pastic parts too. I you can give the moving joints a drop of oil and smear grease on parts that creak. I cleaned the conductor parts and left them as clean and tracefree of any substance as possible. I have yet to open the cartridge containing the carbon disks. For a while I thought mine were sealed, but it's only a putty like thing you can scrape off. I have a knee controller on a 99 I need to sort out.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:32 PM

bkay, does it feel sticky? or does it feel like the button slides easily and just too muck pressure needed? I have used Happich Simichrome polish for cleaning and polishing the Singer controllers and even a T&S case. It makes them look really nice. I know it is supposed to be a metal polish, but it works really well on the plastics that I have tried it on. I'm thinking that once you get the controller apart the button looks like just a little squarish cup. I would make sure there is not lint and dirt on it or the opening in the base. Steel wool to clean the metal contact areas.

(Thank you for comment on "get-together" thread. I know we miss or forget some of the things talked about.)

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:01 AM

I have it completely apart except the carbon stacks. It's the spring. It is really stiff. Of course, once I get it back together, the problem may be solved. Maybe you shouldn't have to push it all the way down to get it to go. We'll see.

Thanks.

bkay