Singer 115 Treadle Question

Old 02-06-2024, 03:56 PM

Default Singer 115 Treadle Question

Hello everyone,

My husband and I picked up a Singer 115 treadle a couple weeks ago. Possibly a 1910 or 1913 based on the serial number. I test drove it before we purchased and it sewed great.

We drove it home, laying the whole cabinet on its back. Since we've been home we haven't been able to get it to run right. It came with a new leather belt and there is a lot of slipping. We tightened the belt and the machine became hard to treadle, but the belt still slips and feels looser than it should.

We tried buying a tube belt and we have the same problem with that.

This is our first functional treadle machine and neither one of us has used one before. Any suggestions for what we should try?
Old 02-07-2024, 05:44 AM

Disconnect the belt and operate the treadle, it should move smoothly once you get it going and it should move for a little bit if you lift your foot while operating. While the belt is off turn the machine by hand, it also should turn smoothly.

The belt is slipping: 1. on the treadle pulley, 2. on the machine handwheel, 3. on both.

If it worked fine before laying it on its back and doesn't now, this is where I would start to try to isolate the problem.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:13 PM

Here's the way I was taught to get the correct tension on a treadle belt -- wrap the belt around and mark where the end meets. Then shorten the belt by 3/4" from that mark, and put the staple in.
Old 02-12-2024, 01:43 PM

Default Update

The flywheel and hand wheel turn freely when the machine needle isn't engaged. The treadle runs smoothly and I don't feel any areas where it binds up. The belt doesn't slip at all. When I tighten the knob on the handwheel to engage the needle, it becomes extremely difficult to treadle, to the point where the belt slips, and it feels like it binds up when the needle is at the top of the cycle.
Old 02-13-2024, 06:43 AM

I've been following this thread. Both Joe and Annette are well versed in these matters. However, I have to put in my 2 cents.

My first thought is you need to do more cleaning and oiling of the machine.

bkay
Old 02-13-2024, 07:48 AM

Then I would disconnect the belt, tighten the clutch knob so the hand wheel is engaged, and turn the machine. If you're having problems with the clutch knob tightened (i.e. needle engaged) then the machine needs attention. Start with a drop of oil everywhere metal moves against metal, and give it some time. Turn the machine by hand, repeat as necessary until the machine turns freely when engaged but disconnected from the treadle.
Old 02-14-2024, 01:22 AM

You can find the manual here: https://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mac...e-manuals.html

Scroll down to find the 115 manual. It has a diagram with the points that require oiling. Be sure to use sewing machine oil, not household or 3in1 oil. Turn the hand wheel by hand a few times with a drop added at each oiling point. It helps work in the oil, and allows you to feel the difference as the oil works in.

Also check to be sure the bobbin winder tire is not engaged.

The 115 is incredibly smooth. When you practice treadling, I recommend doing so without it being threaded. Get used to stopping and restarting, ensuring the hand wheel turns toward you. If the hand wheel runs backward/clockwise, and it is threaded up, you will get a thread jam in the bobbin area in very short order- ask me how I know!