Singer 128 electric

Old 07-22-2014, 04:56 PM

Default Singer 128 electric

Here is the 'new' Singer 128 with closeups of all the wiring that has me concerned. I haven't cleaned her at all, so please forgive the dust.

There are actually only two spots where the cord covering is frayed. Would it be okay to just put on electrical tape rather than try to rewire?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]484584[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Old 07-22-2014, 05:00 PM

A few more photos
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 07-22-2014, 05:23 PM

As long as the copper isn't touching the other wire to short it out yes you can just tape it. The plug originally had a thin piece of hard cardboard covering the screws. I see more plugs without the cardboard than I see with it. If it bothers you, it's easy enough to put another piece of cardboard on or just replace the plug. Sundial Wire carries new vintage style plugs like that one. You can probably find them other places too. Any hardware store will have a good selection of modern replacements too.
Great looking machine. The decals look nearly perfect and everything looks original.
Nice find.
Rodney
Old 07-22-2014, 08:06 PM

Thanks, Rodney! This is a big help.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Banned

This is the same machine that my DD has as a handcrank. Her machine is in about the same condition and those decals get a LOT of attention wherever she goes with it. Your's looks awesome!
Old 07-23-2014, 06:03 PM

That machine is a dandy. There are no modifications needed to put on a hand crank, even an after market one. Just remove bolt from motor boss and place crank on. The originality of it is kept and you have use as hand cranked. I've rewired a 128-23 exactly like that with cloth cord from a sundial. Four screws loosened, new wire attracted, screws tightened down voila! The phenolic connectors look exceptional, which is rare. They come apart by unscrewing the top cap. You'll see the obvious screws to loosen inside. The other screws you have to loosen are those on the plug usually covered by the card board (cereal box works well).
Old 07-23-2014, 06:48 PM

My brother and I looked at all the pictures. What a treasure you have. The old cords are really a hazard if you intend to use the machine. Once frayed, the inner covering can break easily. For your safety I would rewire.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:43 AM

​Great looking machine! versatile too. It can be a hand-crank or treadle. decals are great! BUT I have to ask what the tool is? looks almost like a knee lift/pressure foot lift
Old 07-24-2014, 07:47 AM
Banned

the kneebar is used in place of a foot pedal. It goes in the small hole in the front of the case. when you press it to the right with your knee the machine should go.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by trish b View Post
My brother and I looked at all the pictures. What a treasure you have. The old cords are really a hazard if you intend to use the machine. Once frayed, the inner covering can break easily. For your safety I would rewire.
Thank you! I'm just trying to figure out whether wiring it myself is any safer...