Singer 15-89

Old 04-09-2015, 09:16 AM

Default Singer 15-89

I feel SEW blessed! About a year ago I posted about my Mom's 1935 machine that I would inherit someday. Last month I stayed with my Mom while I was there for my dear brother's funeral. Mom (age 97) insisted that I bring our machine home with me as she can no longer lift the head out of the cabinet or sit at it to sew. The machine now has a new home and she is ready to use. No cleaning was needed as Mom took good care of her and I cleaned up what little needed done last year. The cabinet drawers were another story, as they were very full of everything sewing related including lint and rusty pins and needles. So I cleaned them out. The wooden spools of thread went into my jar of wooden spools. Rusty pins, needles, and razor blades (for ripping seams) went into a "sharps" container for disposal. And I found the original manual (minus the green cover) and ALL the attachments, some in their original box, listed in the manual plus a few duplicates! All of the attachments had been used but not by me, and are in excellent condition. Also in the cabinet are extra bobbin winder tires, motor belts (Dad bought the motor in 1936), and a treadle belt. The base and machine are complete. My Mom has truly given me the three greatest gifts I could want - life, a love of sewing, and her machine!

I planned to convert the machine back to a treadle, but now I'm not sure. Since everything is complete and where it belongs, would it be possible to go back and forth between treadle and motor just by changing which belt is on the machine?
Attached Thumbnails img_0949-reduced.jpg  
Old 04-09-2015, 09:28 AM

My condolences for the loss of your brother.
Congrats on your mother gifting you her machine! I love it when a machine has a family history like yours. Switching back and forth shouldn't be a big deal, probably 15 minutes to change from one to the other. I don't know if you're familiar with Singer model 15s but they are great machines for piecing and quilting. You should get many years of enjoyment from it.
Rodney
Old 04-09-2015, 09:29 AM

My condolences on the loss of your brother.

The machine is beautiful gift. Give your Mom a big fellow-sewist hug from me!
Old 04-11-2015, 04:12 AM

my sympathy to your family. What a nice legacy, you have your moms machine. its looks wonderful.