Singer 15-91 Collar removal

Old 04-23-2020, 06:40 PM

Default Singer 15-91 Collar removal

Hey everyone!
I recently acquired a singer 15-91 from my neighbor and I absolutely love it. One day it began to get very slow and I read on another thread that it could just be a motor issue. I disassembled the motor and cleaned it up and the motor is running fine but that turned out not to be the issue. I've disassembled most of the machine and I believe I've narrowed the problem down to where the collar on the machine is. I'm not sure if this is the proper name but I will include pictures. I've already removed the tapered pin in the collar and I just can't seem to get it off. Just wondering if I may be missing another screw on the inside maybe or something. Please help me so I can continue to enjoy this beautiful machine!!!!

Last edited by brenden228; 04-23-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:49 PM

Default image

Originally Posted by brenden228 View Post
Hey everyone!
I recently acquired a singer 15-91 from my neighbor and I absolutely love it. One day it began to get very slow and I read on another thread that it could just be a motor issue. I disassembled the motor and cleaned it up and the motor is running fine but that turned out not to be the issue. I've disassembled most of the machine and I believe I've narrowed the problem down to where the collar on the machine is. I'm not sure if this is the proper name but I will include pictures. I've already removed the tapered pin in the collar and I just can't seem to get it off. Just wondering if I may be missing another screw on the inside maybe or something. Please help me so I can continue to enjoy this beautiful machine!!!!

Hope this image helps

Attached Thumbnails img-9343.jpg  
Old 04-24-2020, 02:46 AM

I suggest cleaning the gears of old, dried grease, re-lubricating, and oiling all other moving parts. A manual can be found at ismacs. When you serviced the motor, did you clean and re-lube the grease wicks?
Old 04-24-2020, 07:23 AM

I did all of those things that you suggested. Cleaned and replaced the grease in the motor and in the grease wicks and cups, and oiled any joints that I could identify. I believe that right around where the shaft passes through the machine, something is just too tight. The shaft will still spin and it's a consistent amount of force that it takes to spin it so it leads me to believe that nothing is bent.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:57 AM

Hi Brenden,
Sometimes thread or other gunk gets trapped under the bushing. There's a great tutorial on how to remove it at the Singer Featherweight Shop. They make a special tool to help pull the bushing, because one thing you really don't want is damage to the outer surface of the bushing, along which the handwheel spins when disengaged from the drive.
Is there a screw in the bushing, or a taper pin? I removed a taper pin once -- real pain unfortunately!
https://singer-featherweight.com/blo...collar-bushing

Matt
Old 04-24-2020, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
Hi Brenden,
Sometimes thread or other gunk gets trapped under the bushing. There's a great tutorial on how to remove it at the Singer Featherweight Shop. They make a special tool to help pull the bushing, because one thing you really don't want is damage to the outer surface of the bushing, along which the handwheel spins when disengaged from the drive.
Is there a screw in the bushing, or a taper pin? I removed a taper pin once -- real pain unfortunately!
https://singer-featherweight.com/blo...collar-bushing

Matt
I have watched that tutorial and seen the tool. Mine was a taper pin and I got it out by heating it a bit then tapping it out, it didn't give me too much difficulty fortunately! I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy the tool cause I don't want to wait and its $35! Call me cheap but I just thought maybe someone might have another solution. Thank you for the suggestion!
Old 04-24-2020, 09:36 AM

Have you looked into the foot pedal?
Old 04-24-2020, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
Have you looked into the foot pedal?
I have. When I reassembled then motor I ran the motor without the needle engaged (like winding a bobbin) and it ran without an issue.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by brenden228 View Post
I have. When I reassembled then motor I ran the motor without the needle engaged (like winding a bobbin) and it ran without an issue.
I don't know if you have seen any of Andy's videos but he may be able to help he's an expert on singer restoration, he's good about answering questions helped me a few times.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUS...tRoz1VA2U1xJ4w

Last edited by Joe C; 04-24-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
I don't know if you have seen any of Andy's videos but he may be able to help he's an expert on singer restoration, he's good about answering questions helped me a few times.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUS...tRoz1VA2U1xJ4w
I’ll be sure to check them out! Thank you!!