Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 15-91 foot pedal/power cord >

Singer 15-91 foot pedal/power cord

Singer 15-91 foot pedal/power cord

Old 09-27-2021, 08:04 AM

Default Singer 15-91 foot pedal/power cord

I have a Singer 15-91 that was previously in a sewing cabinet. It had a knee mount to use when sewing to control sewing speed. The cabinet was separated from the machine. I have a power cord that works for the machine, but there doesn't appear to be a place to plug in the foot pedal (it has been a number of years since I have had the machine out, we had several moves over that time). I would like to ultimately sell this sewing machine, since it would be nice if someone had use of it (as opposed to it sitting boxed up in my closet).

I went to Sewing Parts Online to order a new cord. They have a foot pedal that plugs into the 3 prong plug-in on the machine plus a cord to plug into the wall. I assume this is what I need.

This foot pedal is listed as single speed control. Does that mean no matter how soft or hard you press the pedal it only goes one speed (which is likely fast)? Singer Single Speed Foot Pedal

I saw that they have a variable speed control pedal, but you have to purchase that one along with the appropriate power cords and then wire yourself. I watched the video, I'm sure I could get it done, but would be easier to purchase a pedal that is plug and go! Variable Control Foot Pedal Cords to go with variable speed control pedal

I did see this pedal on their site (which is variable speed and I think like the first one I posted above that was single speed). However, it doesn't say it doesn't list the 15-91 in the machines compatible with section, though the plug looks like it would fit. Singer variable control that doesn't need wiring
Old 09-28-2021, 08:36 AM

Your 15-91 likely needs the dual lead 3 prong plug, one lead goes to the wall plug, the other lead to the foot control. If you don't want to do any rewiring, buy the dual lead 3 prong plug with the foot control already wired. I'm not sure why there would be a single speed foot control, if you're going to sell it I'm guessing most buyers would expect variable speed capabilities.

Assuming no one has changed the wiring on the back side of the 3 prong receptacle on the machine then it should be plug and play.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:07 AM

I'm wondering if that is a typo, since it is supposed to work with the various machines. A single speed, I think, would be for some other machines like woodworking tools which would not have that type of plug. A single speed is basically an off and on switch.

By the way, are you back in Colorado?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 09-29-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:40 AM

For what this may be worth to you, I believe that the first one is a rheostat pedal while the second one is electronic. The rheostat one is has an all metal case and it is mechanical, it has a coil of wire and a metal contact that swings across the coils when you press the pedal. The coils on mine are set in a ceramic block. It happens that I like that type of pedal, it's very old technology and it works very well for me. That said, they do get warm and people find that the electronic ones may provide more control.

Electronic pedals are generally plastic. and they don't get warm and if properly adjusted, will provide fine control.