Singer 15 missing stiches

Old 01-26-2021, 01:44 PM

Default Singer 15 missing stiches

Hi all,

I hope someone maybe able to solve a problem we have with my mums Singer 15 machine. It has not been used for a long time as she uses a electric machine but she is restoring my vintage car seats for me while she is stuck in lockdown. The reason she has switch to the old Singer 15 is that it can produce a much longer stitch than the electric version for the red decorative stitches across the seat. We first identified a few issues but managed to get it going after replacing the tension spring and after fiddling with the tension thought we had cracked it when it started to produce even stitches. However and this is the problem every now and then it misses a stitch, which when the threads are red against black seat cloth is very noticeable. I have noticed that the problem seems to occur when a loop occurs around the tensioner spring which results in no tension at the needle, but no matter how much i fiddle with the tension i can't stop this happening. I have attached a couple of pictures one showing this and the second showing a normal stitch. I have a video but i don't appear to be able to attach it

If anyone can shine some light on this it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

James
Attached Thumbnails singer-1.jpg   singer-2.jpg  

Last edited by stumpyjag; 01-26-2021 at 01:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-26-2021, 04:32 PM

The reason for a missed stitch is, that the hook (at the shuttle hook) do not catch the thread. It will cause the loop on the top near the take-up lever as you see, because the hook no not pull the thread down and around the bobbin.

The most common reason for missed stitches is the needle. Needle can be damaged, not inserted as it should or not of correct size. Some more elastic fabric or stretch fabric do also increase the chance of missed stitches. What thread size and type do you use and what kind of needle?
Old 01-26-2021, 08:07 PM

Welcome to QB. I'm wondering what type of needle you are using as well as size. I do not agree https://blog.treasurie.com/sewing-ma...ping-stitches/ where it says to use Universal for woven fabric.. I am of the impression it should be a sharp needle point. I would suggest a denim or jeans needle. Possibly a topstitching needle would work better. Thread to needle size is important, too. Thread sizes are so confusing to me, so it is hard to say which size needle would work best. A couple of other links regarding topstitching can be found at https://www.threadsmagazine.com/2012...r-topstitching and https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...stitch-needles Perhaps something on one will help prevent skipping stitches.

Another thing is to make sure the bobbin area is cleaned of lint and thread. Make sure the machine is oiled. If you are missing a manual, there free ones on line.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 01-27-2021, 05:55 AM

hi thanks for the replies

We are sewing with gutterman top stitch strong thread https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254835541762 and a Schmetz 90/14 needle as it’s the smallest we can get the thread through. We are sewing two layers of 100% cotton needle cord material and have had no issues sewing it on the electric machine.

Any further comment appreciated
Old 01-27-2021, 07:43 AM

Sounds like the eye of the needle is too small. Size 16 minimum in my opinion, maybe a size 18
Old 01-28-2021, 12:50 AM

I agree with Hooligan.

I have tried to identify your thread. I am not sure, what 30 m - 33 yds/vgs means. Can somebody can explain it to me?

It might be, that the spool got 30 m or 33 yds of thread. So it do not tell you about the thread thickness. I got a spool, that looks like yours with a red thread. In the attached photo it is no. 4 from top. No. 1 is a Serafil 40 Tex 70 thread. No. 3 is a Serafil 20 Tex 135 thread. No. 5 and 6 is normal sewing threads of Tex 24.

So I think your thread is close to a Tex 70 thread. I have used a size 90/14 needle with the Serafil 40, but it is a quality thread compared to the Gutterman thread. With heavy vinyl and upholstery it is likely, that you need a size 110/18 needle.
Attached Thumbnails thread-ser40-xx-ser20-33yds-saba-120-saba-120.jpg  

Last edited by Gymnast2; 01-28-2021 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:32 AM

According to https://consumer.guetermann.com/en/p...der/top-stitch "the recommended needle and needle size: Universal Needle NM 100 - 120" or 16, 18, 19

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 01-28-2021, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
According to https://consumer.guetermann.com/en/p...der/top-stitch "the recommended needle and needle size: Universal Needle NM 100 - 120" or 16, 18, 19
Thanks for this link. Then it seems to be Tex 100 thread, and it is quite heavy. A 90/14 needle will be too small and even 100/16 should be difficult with this fabric.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:19 AM

I agree with all the other posts. Start with easy first, change needle size, make sure no lint in the bottom, make sure thread size is correct, make sure new needle is in all the way. Also make sure the needle is inserted the correct direction. Needles have a little groove in them below the eye for the thread to nestle in, which is important that it is in the correct direction for the loop to be made. That's why there is a flat side. If the needle is in the wrong direction, the loop won't be made. For example, the flat side is to the left on a 221 but on the far side for a modern machine. Last resort is to check the timing, that being the "when" of the needle picking up the loop. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:56 AM

Many thanks for the advice from everyone, larger needle used and a much better result. Thank you.