singer 201 motor lubrication

Old 04-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Default singer 201 motor lubrication

I recently got a singer 201 and was able to oil all the designated spots in the manual. I finally tracked down singer motor lubricant to lubricate the motor. the manual says to loosen the two covering screws on the motor and put in about 1/4 tube of lubricant into each side. do you need to pull out any old lubricant first? if so how do you clean out the old lubricant to make room for the new lubricant?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:06 PM

I'm gobsmacked today. A friend at my local group just gave me a 201. Its 1956, potted motor and in absolutely gorgeous shape. Lacking a cord but pretty sure my 1941 will fit. So now I've got all the same questions, where to oil with what.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:24 PM

Good question EB. I lubed the motor on my 15-91 and it was nigh on impossible to clean out the grease ports and lube because of the angle of the motor and the clearance between the electrical connector. I am thinking of taking the motor off to do a proper job. One more thing to learn.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:34 PM

You don't need to clean the ports. Fresh lubricant will soften the old. The lubricant will feed into the motor all by itself just fine. Only use the Singer motor lubricant or the Tri-Flow grease on the motor. The regular oil goes into the moving parts of the machine itself.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:53 PM

Tri-Flow grease is not good for Singer potted motors.

From Sew-Classic
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Tri-Flow...oz-TF23004.htm

Tri-Flow Clear Synthetic Grease - 3.0 oz. tube- great value- about 30% less per oz. than the 0.25 oz. tube.
THE BEST lubricant for sewing machine gears that require grease. It's MUCH "stickier" than the Singer grease/lubricant so it doesn't "fling off" so much as the gears spin. The added PTFE (Teflon) makes the machine run so much smoother- Tri-Flow Grease is waterproof, clear, prevents rust and corrosion - formulatied with PTFE (aka Teflon)
Superb lubricant for lubricating metal gears- even safe for most non-metal gears that require lubrication. (refer to the service or owners manual for guidelines for lubricating non-metal gears- requirement varies) Stays put- great stuff! (USA purchase only)
Not recommended for grease tubes or pots that lubricate motor bearings via a wick. Either use the Singer grease for this or petroleum jelly for those applications
I would recommend just using the Singer motor lube.

Joe