Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 201K - What are they like? >

Singer 201K - What are they like?

Singer 201K - What are they like?

Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
This is what I'm looking at http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/warrn...ine/1013658168

Sigh. There are so many "just want it gone" listings in my area of treadle machines. There's a woman I was talking to about another Phoenix like my 250 (was interested in her instruction book) and she has TWO treadles. A Phoenix 81 and a Gladiola.... She said if she can't sell, they're going to the tip! (rubbish dump). It's a depressing world we live in....
Oh, wow! I would snatch that one up in a heartbeat! I have a 201 hand crank that I love. I would also have to rescue the other treadles from the dump! I wish she would donate them rather than trash them....
Old 03-13-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
Wow, I would grab that one if I was on your side of the globe! Beautiful cabinet!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
201's are great machines. One of the largest throats of the type. It's drop in, horizontal bobbin is regarded as the only negative on the machine by many quilters. Some like it, some prefer the vertical type bobbin assembly for better tension during Free Motion quilting. If you can buy it for a decent price, you should.
And the K does does identify it as having been made in the Kilbowie plant outside of Glasgow, Scotland.
I do not have a 201 but I do have a 99 K and love it...
Old 03-13-2013, 06:10 PM

My 201 is my favorite straight stitch machine. Purrs like a kitten and sews a fine seam.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:12 PM

The stitch quality is the best I've ever seen, I love my 201-3. I used her yesterday and today. Let us know if you get one?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:39 PM

I love my 1936 Singer 201K, originally a hand crank from the Kilbowie, Scotland factory. I prefer to treadle it, lovely machine to sew with and very quiet. I think it was one of the finest machines that Singer made.
Sharon
Old 03-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Muv

Hello Frudemoo, 201Ks are really nice to sew with. I got a treadle a fortnight ago (pics on my blog, link below) so I haven't had the chance to use it much yet. It has a very smooth movement, and does reverse.

The one you show listed looks as though the spool pin is missing - or is it just a bad photo?

Are the other treadles listed overpriced by any chance?

Last edited by Muv; 03-16-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
The one you show listed looks as though the spool pin is missing - or is it just a bad photo?

Are the other treadles listed overpriced by any chance?
You're right, I think it is missing Muv! Thanks for pointing that out. It's really strange, in Australia it seems that any of the treadles in decorative tables or with decorative decals on the machine are mostly really overpriced (which I didn't realise because I was looking for the smaller style of cabinet like the one in the link) but these smaller and plainer cabinets and machines are really cheap and often don't get sold, even if they're good machines.

I really can't decide on my next purchase!

I'm interested in the 201K
Also, there is a magnificent old Singer treadle with the sphynx decals available but it's $250 vs. another treadle which I find really intriguing that's badged as a "Improved Nirvana" with NIRVANA on the table irons (machine looks like an Improved Eldredge B machine), decals also in very good condition - $275. Neither of these are particularly close by to go and look at
The third is a free arm motorised machine, another Phoenix by Baer & Rempel. It's the amazing looking one with the curved wooden flat bed/tray thing (forget the name of this thing all the time!!). This one is a random diversion from 'Operation: Treadle'.

Which would you choose? And what am I to do about these prices??

Muv, I followed your fabulous clean & polish instructions for getting my Phoenix 250 moving again and it was the most fun I've had in ages, but the cabinet is warped and has peeling veneer and the machine is of limited use to me as it's a straight sewer with no instructions that I have no idea about the quality of the stitching and whether it's worth putting bucketloads more work into it. I desperately want to get treadling with a machine that's both beautiful and practical, but I'm paralysed by the idea of investing so heavily in something that may not be a good sewer. I'd love some advice if anyone has any?