Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 221 Original Owners Manuals ? >

Singer 221 Original Owners Manuals ?

Singer 221 Original Owners Manuals ?

Old 01-09-2015, 05:02 PM

Default Singer 221 Original Owners Manuals ?

I am sure I have seen somewhere where someone has posted all the different manuals and given some information on which year they came out. I spinning in circles trying to find that information today though. Does anyone know where I can find it? My only last place to look was Graham's website but I am getting a search error when I try.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:07 PM

Christy, try ISMACS.net or go to http://www.singersewingmachine.com/. Singer will generally have available a free download which you can print, or the other manual, which you'd have to pay for. Give that a try and see if that doesn't get you what you need. Let me know if you need anything more!

Jeanette
Old 01-09-2015, 07:25 PM

[QUOTE=Mrs. SewNSew;7041085]I am sure I have seen somewhere where someone has posted all the different manuals and given some information on which year they came out.QUOTE]

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...e-manuals.html Sometimes I get lost trying to find something within a website when I know I saw it there before. I like that this also has instructions for the attachments. Now to find it again after I bookmark it....
Old 01-09-2015, 09:40 PM

Ok I may not have said that right. I have a downloaded free user manual. What I am looking for are photos showing the different covers of the original manuals as they came out in different years. One was the standard green verticle rectangular Singer book style, another was black and horizontal, another had the red and green with triangular design..
Old 01-09-2015, 10:47 PM
Banned

Christy,
A rough approximation is green up into the early 50s, black into early 60s then red /green.

Cari
Old 01-10-2015, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
What I am looking for are photos showing the different covers of the original manuals as they came out in different years. One was the standard green verticle rectangular Singer book style, another was black and horizontal, another had the red and green with triangular design..
By now, you have probably found what you are looking for at Graham Forsdyke's site. If you are still getting an error message, this is what I see http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...s/history.html Using the links at the bottom of the pg., I did see the charts and different manuals that were produced for the featherweight. Using the "Identify Your Manual" link, I learned that I have what looks like that rarely found manual shown as printed in 1954, but mine says copywrite, USA, 1955. When I bought this FW at a thrift store in Seattle, I took it to a shop in Lynnwood and asked that it be serviced and the missing numbered face on the tension be replaced. When I picked it up, the shop owner said the woman who serviced it was very knowledgeable on featherweights, and said this machine was much older than I thought, and it never came with numbers on the face of the tension dial. I had used an online chart to date it by the serial number. Do you also have Nancy Johnson Srebro's book on "The Perfect Portable"?
Old 01-10-2015, 07:53 AM

I don't have the book you mention but the link is very helpful thank you! I got one yesterday but it doesn't look like any of the ones I see. I am guessing the cover page must have been torn off of it.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0777-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 01-10-2015, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I am guessing the cover page must have been torn off of it.
You are right, that is page 2. On mine, the cover appears closer to a dark jade than it does to the brilliant blue online. There are 56 pgs. plus the cover.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
You are right, that is page 2. On mine, the cover appears closer to a dark jade than it does to the brilliant blue online. There are 56 pgs. plus the cover.
Sorry, that should read as page 1, not 2.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:54 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505495[/ATTACH]this is from mine, copyright 1947 . it is a dark green. I think the machine this came with is 1949. its been a while since I looked it up. We won't go there about my other FW,1951, and all accessories that were stolen.
Attached Thumbnails fw-manual-1947-.jpg