Singer 237 Made in France??

Old 11-08-2019, 05:55 AM

I'm still over-the-moon with my 237 and just no one who cares about that except the few of you here in this thread...its really great to have the advantages of the vintage singers (stability, gorgeous stitch quality, ease of use (simplicity), sweet sound) with welcome addition of variable needle position, zig-zag, drop feed, great light, better foot pedal (not the button type) which I find much more responsive and easier to control speed. I'm forgetting something but that's good..it'll give me an excuse to return to talk up this model even more. Bearisgray, i found a pad of very small, round, adhesive corn protectors (i think referred to as mole skin?).. I placed one over the little opening at the back of the seam guide where the thread tends to pop out and it has been working great for several weeks now! Such an easy and cheap solution so thought i'd pass it along. These are very small so unobtrusive and there's probably 50 on the sheet. Now I need some way to keep that foot pedal from sliding around on the wood floor!! i thought of command strips with velcro..stick to floor and bottom of pedal. Haven't tried shelf liner of the grippy variety. If anybody wants to carry on in a large way about this wonderful 237, feel free to PM me! I'm rather nuts over it to be honest. If only they could build something exactly like it with a 15" harp. WOW! one day i'll try a buttonhole. I have a feeling w/ practice it could be pretty amazing. I have an equally fabulous in all ways Skyline S5 but i head for the 237 first it seems and will probably wind up using both equally. For piecing and quilting of small projects, it'll be the 237. Who knew!! )
Old 11-08-2019, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

I will try the corn protector thing. The top thread does tend to "flip out" between the take-up lever and the needle guide.

The bobbin winder "tire" is easily replaced - but does tend to get icky over time.

Another plus - for me - the only foot that came with most of my machines (I do have more than one) works for an "almost perfect" 1/4 inch seam.

I have two here, one in FL, my daughter has one, and my grand-daughter has one (without the drop feed button). I gave one away that had issues.

PS - I have learned to "check for myself" what a machine is like - instead of "believing what the seller says".