Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is this a Singer 27 treadle and how do I stop belt from slipping? >

Is this a Singer 27 treadle and how do I stop belt from slipping?

Is this a Singer 27 treadle and how do I stop belt from slipping?

Old 10-04-2013, 07:48 PM

Default Is this a Singer 27 treadle and how do I stop belt from slipping?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]439730[/ATTACH]
It looks like a picture from an instruction manual for a Singer 27 & 28 except the bobbin winder is low on the shaft. Then again it looks like a picture on instruction manual for a 127-3 & 128-3. It is a vibrating shuttle Serial # K405712 and if my information is correct it was made 8-15-02 in Elizabeth NJ.

Now about the slipping belt - I was sewing along just fine when I heard a squeek so I oiled all the irons and now my belt (tubing) is slipping. I tried cleaning with vinegar but so far nothing has helped. It treadles like a dream and always stops with the needle in the down position. I love this machine except for winding the bobbin which I really haven't mastered yet - just enough to get along.
Attached Thumbnails oldsing-fullvu.jpg  
Old 10-04-2013, 10:07 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

This is beautiful ! Look for a seeing machine repare shop, mine still has belts..made this time period but for your mchine ! Just find modle number ..or find on internet...if manual shows adjustment..there you go..check youtube also.best of luck..she is a beauty.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
It looks like a picture from an instruction manual for a Singer 27 & 28 except the bobbin winder is low on the shaft.

Now about the slipping belt - I was sewing along just fine when I heard a squeek so I oiled all the irons and now my belt (tubing) is slipping. I tried cleaning with vinegar but so far nothing has helped. It treadles like a dream and always stops with the needle in the down position. I love this machine except for winding the bobbin which I really haven't mastered yet - just enough to get along.
It looks like a 27 to me. AFAIK the 127s bobbin winder is high, the 27 is low, like this one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singer_Model_27_and_127
I just realised why the belt is slipping: You have gotten oil on it. I'd replace it (don't know if you can get oil out of leather)
Old 10-05-2013, 07:01 AM

thanks manicmike for confirming that i have a 27. my belt is made from tubing and after the vinegar dried overnight it's sewing just fine. i never have got the hang of installing a leather belt. one of my machines has a panty hose for a belt and until that quits working it will stay that way. and a great big THANKS for the link to more info.

Last edited by misseva; 10-05-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:54 AM

misseva,

I'd use denatured alcohol to get the oil off the belt and pulleys myself.

Also at PetSmart the other day I saw a different type of aquarium tubing I'm going to try. The normal stuff like Wal-Mart sells is a clear plastic that's kind of slick. At PetSmart they had silicone tubing that actually had a sort of texture to the surface. They had it in black and clear. Not any more expensive than the Wal-Mart stuff, but I think it might work better.

Joe
Old 10-05-2013, 09:29 AM

thanks joe i'll remember that the next time i need tubing. i actually bought 24 ft at my local hardware store (for 20 cents/ft) and found a plastic connector at store where i work. we sell farm equipment and we had just the right size. go figure. just goes to show ya' that we can find stuff we need just about anywhere if we just start looking. and petsmart is 50 mi from me and walmart is 20 mi away so if i can make do here in town i do.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:54 AM

I could use a couple of those connectors. Could you post a pic of one so I would know what to look for?

Joe
Old 10-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I could use a couple of those connectors. Could you post a pic of one so I would know what to look for?

Joe
big time ditto - please post a pic!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:17 PM

yes, when i get to work monday i take a pix & i'll even mail u some if you cant find them locally.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:06 PM

Miss Eva,

From one Arky to another! I'm glad you got your machine sewing again! I've never heard of Plum Nelly, but then I've been transplanted to Florida for more than 40 years! We still go "home" to visit at least once a year, more often if we can!

Your machine is beautiful!

Jeanette Frantz