Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer 301A - slant shaft?

Singer 301A - slant shaft?

So I found a short bed 301A in it's original case in thrift store for $25. Of course the bobbin case was missing but I had an extra. You bet I looked through Every bin for one! My friend wants it for quilting (she owns a sewing store so I'll trade it for store credit) which is great!

These are slant shaft right? I know the bobbin case is the same as the Singer Featherweight, but I believe the 221 can't share accessories, correct?

I cleaned it up, oiled it and tested it out, and boy does she run well! I replaced the bobbin tire, but the hand wheel/inner wheel is jammed (you can't stop needle motion). My husband had successfully freed these so I'm not terribly concerned there. I hear it's an easy fix.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-30-2019 at 03:55 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Gee. I had to walk 8 feet to double check it. Yep, it is a slant shaft.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

LOL Leon - keep an eye out for a bobbin case for this puppy, would ya? Regarding the handwheel, if we unscrew that screw, can we then take the inner wheel off the outer wheel to clean and lubricate it so it moves again?

And does the bobbin winder just fold up or is there supposed to be a spring that snaps it up? My husband thinks it should click up with more force than it does.

Never mind, Leon - we fixed both issues pretty quickly. Now I'm on the hunt for a bobbin case.

301 was Singer’s first “Slant-O-Magic. For the bobbin winder, the way yours is working is correct. You just push it up out of the way when not using. No snap, no spring.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Love all of my 301's. I have a blk shortbed and a blk longbed. I have a mocha shortbed and a mocha longbed. And I have a shortbed tan and cream. You got a great deal. I just sewed a leather patch onto a leather vest with NO problem, just lengthened the stitch some. They are workhorses!
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work. Retired and quilting!

Oh, you give me hope. I am looking for one that does not cost an arm and a leg. Lucky you oh but you are not going to keep it. Are you sure? Perhaps you want to try it? What colour did you find?

Kelsie, a friend of mine was looking for a white featherweight and didn't know about the big sisters. I couldn't resist sharing the find with her! I have two featherweights in black, a 15 clone, two 501As (my favorite), and a Willcox & Gibbs. I just don't do a lot of quilting and my friend does, and she travels. She can take this machine with her. If I do decide to get a 301 down the road, I would rather have a black long bed.
    Last edited by lindawmn; 05-02-2019 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Want to add information

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    301 was Singer’s first “Slant-O-Magic. For the bobbin winder, the way yours is working is correct. You just push it up out of the way when not using. No snap, no spring.
    My husband is twitching over this design because it slipped some. We went over the wheel and new bobbin tire with a q-tip dipped in alcohol which helped.

I think I will probably buy any that I find, like you I like the blacks but the LBOW looks pretty smart also. We do the yard sales every weekend but SM seem to be rather scarce here. Last weekend I saw a treadle only because I said I was looking for one and the lady said "Oh, come inside I have one." It was not very nice. This weekend after about 20 or more sales and stopping for lunch at a local farmers market, as we left there was a cardboard sign with an arrow so we followed it. There was a portable in its case and a treadle with a book in the drawer for 127/128.
    We were talking about this and we have a large influx of Canadians from the colder parts of the country especially when they retire and perhaps the older machines are left behind and then they buy a modern one when they get here if they are going to do any sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    301 was Singer’s first “Slant-O-Magic."
    As far as I know, there was never a Slant-O-Magic offered by Singer. The 301 was referred to simply as the slant-needle machine. Perhaps you are thinking of the Slant-O-Matic designation of the 400 and 500 series machines with the "automatic" cam-generated decorative stitches.

Well, you are right about the 301 and the 301A being mistakenly called a "Slant-O-Magic". They were made by Singer and simply the first slant needle machines made by Singer. The 301A was made in Anderson, SC., thus the A. Both are workhorses and have wonderful stitches. They are not sisters to the Featherweight machines, although some mistakenly refer to them as that. I have a 301, 301A, 401 and 501. All great machines. I've gathered this info from research, but please correct me if I'm mistaken.