Singer 31?

Old 01-11-2015, 01:22 PM

understand it's a clutch motor meaning belt and clutch slipping is your friend, it hasn't been used, after you start using it it will stink like burning brakes. don't worry about that. the grabbnes should stop in time of use.

if you don't like a clutch, servos at 550 watt motors can be had delivered at around $125, these a world of choices on the brands. most all come complete motor wiring, switch and lamp, new bolts. with that it turns int o big home type machine,

a cheap way to get the wiring, home depot , but a heavy duty extension cord. largest gauge wire they have, use that, get a 20 footer. make it as long as you want from switch to wall, there'll penalty to use from switch to motor and a light. the cord will already have the wall plug installed
Old 01-11-2015, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Congrats!!!!
Old 01-11-2015, 01:39 PM

The extension cord solution works but I've seen and bought plenty of woodworking machinery with it and one of the first things I do is cut and toss it. Bright yellow and orange cords just don't look right on vintage machinery of any type. It's worth a little extra pain up front to have a finished job that looks good.

Congrats on getting that machine! You did really well at $75.
Rodney
Old 01-11-2015, 03:22 PM

agreed they don't look correct, I did the same, then I found on machines inside the house I had a secure feeling seeing the bright color easy to see and find, plus you knew it's new.

I'm lazy, so when I did my last remodel in my home, I moved all wall plugs up to the 4 foot level and all plugs in utility area ( meaning dark lite) are the hospital bright orange plug with a white cover LOLOL.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Champanier View Post
it runs fine, despite the scary cord.

I have an original manual for this at home - it was in another cabinet I bought.
Awesome find Linda. Everything on that machine can be fixed, and it's a very desireable model, so well done! You'll have to post pics when you fiddle with it. The manual was just waiting for you to find the machine.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
agreed they don't look correct, I did the same, then I found on machines inside the house I had a secure feeling seeing the bright color easy to see and find, plus you knew it's new.

I'm lazy, so when I did my last remodel in my home, I moved all wall plugs up to the 4 foot level and all plugs in utility area ( meaning dark lite) are the hospital bright orange plug with a white cover LOLOL.
I've done gut-rehab on two houses. Most of my light switches have outlets right next to them. What a time saver. My carpenter really appreciated that.