Singer 328-K Machine

Old 08-08-2015, 04:06 PM

Red face Singer 328-K Machine

*** IS this a good machine?
*** I answered an ad on CL for an old Singer machine with desk.
*** Wanted $25. for Machine & $30. for the desk.
*** Went to see it and talked him down to $20. for the package
*** (which included 7 bobbins).
*** NO cam (hope to find some on the Board or on E-bay or CL).
&&& He gave me a set of cams but they are the wrong ones.
*** How hard is to find the discs?
*** She cleaned up nicely and is sewing well. She looks blue in the pics but is beige.
*** Did I get a good deal?
Attached Thumbnails singer-328-k.jpg   singer-328-k-cabinet-001.jpg  
Old 08-08-2015, 04:25 PM

Not a terrible machine, but not the best and quite noisy.
Not hard at all to find the discs. Uses Singer flat discs, which are the most common.

You might be happy with it, there are people here who think they're a great machine.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:37 PM

We have a 328K that came sans case or cabinet. We put it in a blond 4 drawer cabinet and my wife uses it quite a bit.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]527300[/ATTACH]

I don't know where the "they're noisy machines" comes from, ours is no more or less noisy than most other all metal machines. Keep them properly oiled and their just fine.

I've found most of our accessories for it on shopgoodwill.com, but you can find them most anywhere. The machine uses easy to find class 66 metal bobbins, low shank feet and accessories, and as was said earlier flat cams.
One note, it has to have a cam in it ( usually the ZZ cam ) to work properly.

I'd say that you got a good deal for the money you spent.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_6024.jpg  
Old 08-08-2015, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

I like those machines with the froggy eye. I don't think they are all that noisy. Yes you do need the disks. Did you know you can use it with a treadle, too? There is a little knock out on the front corner for the belt to travel through.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:07 PM

I think you did well. See what $20 buys for a new machine and desk to put it in.
Ebay is full of cams and accessories that will fit.
Rodney
Old 08-08-2015, 09:57 PM

good job on the machine. i paid $20 for one not in a desk. For just the basic straight stitch i dont think you need a cam, but for the zig zag and other decorative stitches you'll need it.

As for the noise, compared to say a 15-91 it definitely is noisier, but if you compare it to a 401 it may be a little louder. Then compare this machine to a plastic wonder it is roughly about the same amount of sound. So I would agree with Mr. Miller in saying its about as loud as other machines with the exception of handcranks and treadles. lol

good job, keep her cleaned and oil she'll outlast you.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:22 PM

my mom found 2 of these that I inherited- I've sewn on at least one of them but not for long (was trying out some of her machines about a year ago and have finally gotten back to trying them out again and setting them up for sewing) neither of hers had cams and I went on a 'hunt' - I didn't find them as easy/cheap as the tophats - I managed to find some though between ebay and etsy. seems like I looked up what was made in the flat cams and got the numbers and compared ebay sets- some would be missing certain ones..then picked the best deal for me. I think the 319 and 306 take the same cams but may take some extras- was never sure with these and the top hat cams if all would work or just the numbers listed for that machine...anyways I haven't tried the cams yet but that's in the plans just may be a while - plus need to find where i put them I think any working machine in decent cabinet is worth at least $50 or even more. as to whether you enjoy sewing with it may be a different story. I remember it being a machine of hers that I DID like and that was after reading not-so-favorable reviews of it being noisy
Old 08-09-2015, 04:46 AM

I used one for a couple of years and really liked it. Gave it to my aunt whose plastic wonder gave up on her after only a year... She likes it also. I didn't notice it as being a noisy machine. I had no trouble finding cams on ebay.. I think you made a good deal!
Old 08-09-2015, 06:43 AM

*** Thanks to all of you who responded to my request.
*** I plan on using her as much as possible.
*** Now on a quest for accessories.
*** I think the cams he gave me are (8) Top Hats and
*** I am open to trade for the ones I need for the 328-K.

Last edited by jbj137; 08-09-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:49 AM

Those flat cams seem to be a little more expensive than the tophat style....I've been looking at them on eBay for my 319 lately and people want a lot more for them than for the tophat style, and they aren't as many of them listed. But they ARE there, some large sets even, but those seem to be going for $40 or more.

I've never sewn on a 328 and I can't decide if I like the looks of it or not (it's a little like a pug, it might be so weird looking that it's cute but I haven't decided yet), but I definitely would have bought it for the price you paid! Around here, it'd have been a good deal at the original price!