Singer 3343C

Old 12-20-2022, 07:23 AM

Default Singer 3343C

I'm not even sure if the Singer 3343C is considered "antique" or "vintage" .... but here goes: My daughter is a beginner sewist. She's looking for a second-hand machine. She lives in the Yukon, so the availability is more limited than in the south. She's found a Singer 3343C. Does anyone know/use this machine? Any special issues ?
Old 12-20-2022, 08:25 AM

According to the manual found at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/88...02.html#manual it is dated 1993. BUT, it doesn't quite look like the 3343C
Personally, I don't think of any plastic machine as vintage. It seems like a lot of disagreement as to what "vintage" is. One place said " Most antique dealers consider an item to be vintage if it is at least 40 years old." Another said "Ruby Lane also suggests that ‘vintage’ should not be used in reference to objects less than 20 years old."

There is a review that can only be read if you join, but you can read some other reviews in the comments, if you scroll down the page. https://sewing.patternreview.com/review/machine/646

It does look like a decent mechanical machine. Sometimes people have serviced these machines with the wrong products that will cause parts to cement in place or crack the internal workings.

Other than that, I really can't help.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 12-20-2022, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the info, Janey and John. Could you elaborate on servicing the machine with the wrong products, and what my daughter should be checking. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2022, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Patricia Drew View Post
Thanks for the info, Janey and John. Could you elaborate on servicing the machine with the wrong products, and what my daughter should be checking. Thanks!
From my understanding there is some kind of grease that tends to harden to rock solid that has been used on some machines. Also petroleum sewing machine oil/grease should not be used on the plastic/nylon gears. Sewing Machine Oil can be used on metal parts that meet metal parts, but not with the ones that mesh with plastic/nylon parts. Many of the more modern machines have these plastic/nylon gears that over time will crack, and will crack sooner when petroleum based products have been used.

I finally found some pictures of the 3343C's top. While it is slightly different from the machines I'm used to seeing, it looks like the top can be removed by unscrewing two screws. If possible, I would take the top off and see if there is any hardened grease or cracked gears.

Also, it looks like it probably takes cams and that the decorative or utilitarian stitches would need the cams in order to be sewn. I believe that one could straight stitch or zigzag without a cam.

I'm not sure if this helps. I hope it does a little.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 12-20-2022 at 06:18 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-21-2022, 06:27 AM

Great information! Thanks Janey and John. I'll certainly pass it on to my daughter.